3. A Bite

Her heart was banging like a drum she could hear it in her ears.

Reflex, she threw her eyes in a random direction to avoid the skeleton vampire's terrifying gaze.

'Oh my God! I have never lied in my life,' Triana cried in her heart.

Several times, Triana glanced at Vlador's face. She really couldn't read the vampire's expression. Not because of the flat expression on his face, but it was because the skull was too lacked facial muscles to make an expression.

His lips even didn't move when he spoke. He just opened his mouth and lowered his jaw a little, then the words magically came out of it.

The silence made Triana even more shiver. She didn't know what the silent vampire was thinking.

Maybe, the vampire was suspicious of her. Of course! Who didn't? Triana was stupid enough to say that the potion would make him young again.

The story of the disappearance of the vampire nation had been told from generation to generation. Vampires perished after fighting with humans who were then assisted by witches. In other meaning, witches and vampires were enemies.

The truth was the potion Triana was offering the vampire in front of her wouldn't make him younger at all. The witch said that she hated vampires and wanted to make vampires suffer.

Vlador Lev Dracount was the last vampire in Galvadea. He was still alive because a witch cursed him to be immortal and let him starve to dry up like this.

The witch Triana met said that the potion would burn a vampire for three days without killing him. She just wanted to make him suffer for her satisfaction.

In her heart, Triana felt bad to do this even though she had heard that vampires had killed so many innocent humans. However, she had no other choice, moreover, she had sworn to the witch; if she didn't do it, she would become ugly.

"Very well,"

"I'm not lying-" Triana stopped her sentence. "V-very well?" She repeated.

"I'll drink that," Vlador said.

"You... will drink it?"

"Don't repeat my words," Vlador said firmly.

"I... I'm sorry. But... are you really going to drink it? Are you sure?" Triana asked.

"Why do you keep asking? Is it a poisonous potion that will make me suffer?"

"No, it's not." Triana immediately shook her head. Then she cleared her throat. "All right. If willing to-"

"But I have a condition for you." Vlador interrupted her sentence.

"A condition? What is the condition?" Triana asked with a tense.

"Let me drink your blood,"

"Drink my blood?" Triana's eyes widened. Her blue irises trembled.

"Don't repeat my words," Vlador said again.

"No. You will only kill me!" Triana stepped back with a look of horror in her eyes.

The chain made a rattling sound when Vlador raised his skin-wrapped skeleton hand. He moved the hand in a circular pattern.

"One hundred years long, I have not drunk human blood. If it weren't for those witches' curses, I would have died a long time ago from starving. Being able to drink human blood again is something that makes me at least feel alive." Vlador said.

"That potion... I know it won't make me young. It may contain something that made me choose to die, but won't let me," he continued.

Triana held her own chest. She felt tight there. This man really knew that she was lying, but still willing to comply with her request only because he wanted to feel alive after a hundred years of being confined and starving in this miserable place. He didn't even know how long he had to continue his life in this state.

"I won't kill you. Humans will die if all their blood is drained. That takes a few hours. I'll just suck for a few minutes,"

Gulped hard, Triana turned to her guards. They just exchanged glances as they weren't sure what decision to make. In the end, it was all in Triana's hands.

"Can you... promise not to kill me?" Triana asked. Her voice was shaking again, matching her heart which was beating harder and harder.

"I already explained that draining your blood takes several hours. You are also seeing that my hands and feet were chained with magic. I can attack no one, on the contrary, your guards can kill me." Vlador replied.

Triana bit her lower lip. She looked down at the glowing potion bottle in her hand.

"If you are objected, then get out of here."

Vlador's words kept Triana out of her thoughts. She took a deep breath and nodded. "All right. But you must keep your promise,"

"I believe I can't break it, no matter how hard I try," Vlador said.

For the last time, Triana exchanged glances with her guards. The men in armour and iron helmets nodded as a sign that they were ready to attack if the vampire didn't keep his word.

"Come here. I can't walk there." Vlador said.

Triana returned her face to the front. She gulped before trudging closer to the vampire. Each step felt extremely heavy as if her ankles were chained to a boulder.

Between the two spread legs of the vampire's skull, Triana lowered her body and gracefully sat down on the cold stone floor.

Triana did not expect that this vampire's appearance was much more terrifying when seen up close. When the vampire straightened his back to draw closer to her, her body started to tremble violently.

"Good girl. Brush your hair away. You should know where I bite." Vlador said.

"W-wait a minute. Does it hurt?" Triana asked, holding her tense neck.

"Have you ever been stabbed by a knife?" Vlador asked.

Triana shook her head slowly.

"Then I can't explain it to you." The man continued while bringing his face closer to her neck.

"My God.. Please do it slowly, Mr. Dracount," Triana said quietly as she reluctantly brushed her hair away from her shoulders.

"Tilt your head so you'll feel better."

Feeling an extremely skinny face, with eye sockets and sunken cheeks sinking inward, moving closer to the side of her face, Triana closed her eyes tightly.

She could feel the vampire's breath, indicating that he was getting closer to her neck. Her whole body tingled and her heart was throbbing fast.

Slowly, Triana felt two sharp objects stick to the lower part of her neck. After that, both of her eyes reflexively opened widely as, without a single word, the two objects pierced her tender skin and nailed through her flesh rapidly.

"Ahhh!" Triana's scream caught in her throat, making it sound like she was choking.