25. Tiny Body, Tiny Space

A relieved smile spread across Triana's face.

"So, we're going to rest? Oh, thank Goddess…"

Holding back twitch at the corners of his lips, Vlador replied, "I thought you would always say what you wanted,"

"Well, I'm afraid you'd feel burdened. Didn't I say that I wouldn't trouble you anymore?"

"You should be able to distinguish what is necessary and what is not. It will be more troublesome for me if you pass out like this morning," Vlador replied as he opened the inn's door which gave a squeaky sound from its hinges.

Entering the old brown-painted door, they immediately met a front desk with a fat, curly-haired woman who seemed busy knitting.

"We'd like to stay for a night," Vlador said directly as he stood in front of the table.

The woman with dark brown irises put down her knitting with a long sigh. Then, she rose from her comfortable chair to greet her guest.

One of her slender eyebrows lifted as those brown eyes disdainfully watched Vlador and Triana from head to toe.  "Meh… We ran out of chambers,"

"Wh-what? Are you sure, ma'am?" Triana asked.

The woman glanced at Triana with a condescending look. Her eyes returned to the dress Triana was wearing, and she chuckled. "I run this inn. How could I be wrong?"

Vlador glanced at Triana who looked disappointed and was reasoning to the innkeeper that it was already midnight and also raining outside. Then, he looked at the innkeeper who was giving Triana an increasingly condescending look and her eyes kept focusing on her dirty dress.

One of the worst human vices that Vlador realized was that they always found the worst in everything. Instead of the beautiful face and gorgeous hair of the gosling, this innkeeper woman preferred to spend all her focus on Triana's soiled and little damaged dress.

Arguing with the human who judged everything by its appearance would only be a waste of time and energy. People like them were admirers of beauty and money. With that, Vlador reached into his pocket and took out a gold coin.

"We need a sleeping chamber. Prepare it now," He said.

The yellowish shiny coin silenced the fat woman, no longer fending off Triana's pleas.

"Is… is that… a real gold?" The innkeeper muttered.

"I didn't know there was fake gold in this world. You may take it and give us a room, or ignore it, and we'll leave," Vlador said coldly.

"Well, sir," The woman corrected her lazy posture. Now she behaved more professionally. "We really have run out of the sleeping chamber. If anything, it's a chamber that can't be used because the fireplace is small and the size of the bed is also a bit small,"

"Then make it as decent as possible since we'll be spending the night there," Vlador replied.

"All-all right..." The innkeeper said, then she cleared her throat. "And I… will take this coin, then,"

Even when she had yet to get a confirmation from Vlador, her chubby hand swiftly pounced the gold coin. "I will be right back,"

The woman climbed up the narrow, squeaky staircase near the front desk. They could hear a faint voice calling out to someone named Martha for help.

"Mr. Vlador, they only have one chamber," Triana made Vlador turn to her.

"I have heard of it," He replied.

"I know… But I mean… it's a bit…" Triana didn't finish her sentence.

"Are you scared?" Vlador looked at her with one raised eyebrow.

Triana just silent and lowered her face. Then Vlador touched her chin and made her look at his eyes. "What are you afraid of? Hm?"

Fleeing her gaze to the side, Triana cleared her throat quietly. "I-I believe that you won't kill me. But… staying alone in the same inn chamber with a man might invite people's whispers,"

"Then you can sleep outside the chamber," Vlador replied.

Triana bit her lower lip. As soon as Vlador released her chin, her face immediately hung down.

"Worrying about what people say has poisoned your flesh to your bones. Did those people feed you? You don't even know if the people here recognize you or not," He continued with a condescending chuckle.

Seeing Triana just looking down silently for some reason made Vlador upset. He didn't care what kind of life the gosling lived. However, he increasingly objected if this girl continued to be filled with fear on their journey. It would only hinder their goals.

"Apologize to keep you waiting quite long. Some things needed to be cleaned and repaired a bit," The innkeeper appeared from the top of the stairs.

With a friendly expression - much different from before, she returned to behind the front desk. "Fool me. I forgot to ask your names. May I?"

"Write down: Vlad," Vlador said briefly.

"All right, Mr. Vlad. Please follow me upstairs. Your sleeping chamber is ready," the woman said after filling in her guest list book.

On the second floor of the inn building, they went to the farthest door which looked a bit old. The innkeeper opened the old door and gave the key to Vlador.

"As I said before, this chamber is tiny and a bit shabby since it's not usually rented out," The woman explained.

"Come in first," Vlador said to Triana, and she followed his order.

Then, Vlador reached into his pocket again to take out two gold coins. "Our clothes were damaged in a small accident. Bring nightgowns for tonight and proper daily clothes for a man and a woman. And bring a washing basin with lots of fragrances now. I will wait,"

With sparkling eyes, the innkeeper received her coins and nodded. "My staff will be here soon with what you need tonight. Tomorrow, we will deliver the clothes at nine o'clock at the latest. How is it?"

Vlador nodded. "I'll give you more if you can find me a carriage that I can rent along with the coachman. I want to go somewhere I can't remember the way,"

"I understand. I will surely help you, Mr. Vlad," The woman smiled.

"Don't make me wait too long. Prioritize the washing stuff and don't forget about the fragrances. Put a lot of them," Vlador said.

He got a nod from the innkeeper who for some reason carved a strange thin smile on her lips.

"Everything will be delivered soon," the woman said before leaving at a fast pace.

Brow wrinkled, Vlador closed the door of the chamber. Humans were indeed weird. Sometimes, he preferred they had no expression on their faces.

Turning around, Vlador found Triana crouching in front of the fireplace with both palms facing forward. The reddish light from the raging medium fire reflected on her snow-pale skin and accentuated the shadows under her thick, curled eyelashes. A comfortable smile etched on her lips.

Taking his eyes off the gosling, Vlador glanced around the chamber. The innkeeper lady was right about the small size of the room. There was only a bed on the side of the room, three steps away from the small fireplace. Beside the fireplace was a window with a glass door without curtains.

However, the thing that bothered Vlador quite a bit was the size of the bed which was previously said to be small. He didn't think that it turned out any worse than he expected. It was a quite spacious size for one person, but obviously too small for two people, especially since one of the people was a man of his body size.

Glancing back at Triana, Vlador's eyes narrowed, measuring in his mind. It turned out that her skinny body came in handy at the most unexpected moment.