11. Be Useful

"No... Wh-What… What have you done?" Triana stammered.

The witch who had cursed Triana was her only hope to return to her normal life. But now, the witch was dead. The vampire had killed her. Why did he kill her?

Suddenly, Triana felt a tickle in her throat and a rumbling in her stomach. She immediately ran out of the house with her back slightly bent forward and her hand covering her mouth.

Once outside the door, Triana vomited the contents of her stomach out. She coughed hard while holding on to a block of wood that stuck to the wall of the shabby house. Her world seemed to spin around her head so that if she didn't hold on to something, she was sure she would be lying on the dirty ground by now.

Triana wasn't sure if she felt nauseous from seeing the gruesome murder right before her eyes or because she saw her only hope to free herself from this curse was dead. Both of them shook her soul.

Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, Triana tried to catch her breath to pull herself together. Suddenly, she felt a dark aura behind her back and realized that her body's shadow had been replaced by a large shadow blocking the light of the house behind her.

Surprised, Triana turned around. But, because her head still felt a bit spinning, she staggered to the side. If it wasn't for a hand grabbing her arm, she would have fallen.

Triana felt her body being pulled to get back on her feet properly. A little blurry, her eyes stared at the figure of Mr. Vampire standing in the doorway. He pulled her arm, then placed her hand on the wood block she had previously held onto.

"What's wrong with you?" Vlador asked with a disgusted look.

"I-I… feel nauseous," Triana replied slowly.

"Don't waste any more time. Help me find some clues to remove the curse." Vlador ordered before stepping back inside.

Triana took a deep breath and let it out long while closing her eyes tightly. She felt unable to walk upright because her body was completely weak. Even so, she didn't see that the vampire had a shred of conscience. He forced her to move despite seeing her miserable condition.

Stepping into the smelly house, Triana looked around while holding onto the wall. She saw the figure of Mr. Vampire rummaging through a cupboard as if he didn't see the horribly-dead witch right beside him.

"Why… Why did you kill her? She is the witch who cursed us. If she dies, how can this curse be lifted?" Triana asked with tears in her eyes.

"Do you think she would lift her curse if she was still alive? Better to kill her now than let her hinder our efforts to lift this curse later. I had given her the chance to lift this curse by herself so I would let her live, yet she insulted me." Vlador replied nonchalantly.

"You talk as if you know how to lift this curse," Triana muttered as she stepped slowly to check a messy large table.
Vlador ignored Triana. He continued to check the books and scrolls of paper he found.

Holding back the sadness in her heart, Triana shifted the stuff on the table that seemed to her like trash. In her entire life, she had no recollection of ever having had a serious problem.

The hardest thing she ever faced was when she had trouble understanding several languages ​​and doing mathematics in her study activity. Oh… She also sometimes had difficulty choosing the best dress and jewellery to wear to a king's birthday party.

Was this problem too hard or had Triana's life been too easy so far? When compared to her older sisters, Triana always got the best and was given convenience in every way.

Now, Triana was alone. Her parents must be looking for her. She wanted to go home so badly. However, with her appearance due to this curse, she was afraid to embarrass her family. Let alone the people outside Gelev castle, all of Gelev's servants would probably quietly talk about her ugly appearance.

"You're only going to get your hands dirty if you search absentmindedly like that."

The deep voice made Triana raise her face in surprise. The vampire was already standing across the table she was checking. His face looked displeased. The furrow between his firm eyebrows showed as if he was disgusted with Triana.

"I-I'm sorry. I will look for it properly. I can do it," Triana said nervously before returning to check the table.

Vlador watched Triana silently and his arms crossed in front of his chest, making Triana feel even more nervous.
'Does he realize that I can't do anything? I can play the harp and can compose beautiful poetry. But, if looking for something uncertain among a table of trash like this… I don't think my hands are used to it,'

The silence made Triana hear the sound of her own heartbeat. Even though her face was looking down, she could feel that the vampire was watching her with intimidation that made it hard for her to focus.

"Didn't you listen that I won't kill you?"
Triana raised her head to find the vampire staring at her with a straight face. "P-pardon?"

"Why are you still acting as if I will kill you at any moment? Is -you who is still breathing right now- not enough to prove my words?" Vlador asked.

Triana could not answer. She lowered her head and bit her lower lip. "I… believe, however … I couldn't contain my fear because…"

Finding Triana not continuing her sentence, Vlador chose to continue her sentence with a guess. "Because I'm a vampire? You cannot stop yourself from being afraid of a monster that humans hate so much, Mm?"

Triana's jaw tightened. She slowly raised her face again. "I do not mean that. But… I almost died at your hands and your bite is still very painful right now."

A chuckle escaped Vlador's red lips. He tilted his head slightly. "That's what vampires do, Lady. If it's not for this curse, I would have killed you in no time. But now, I have to keep you alive instead. Therefore, shouldn't you be grateful and stop that trembling in your body? Your attitude will only slow down our purpose of lifting this curse."

Taking a deep breath, Triana nodded. "I understand. I will try to stop … being afraid of you,"

"And try to be useful, I expect," Vlador muttered while checking the stuff on the table one by one.

"I'm going to," Triana replied, feeling a stab in her heart.