24. In The City

Arriving outside the castle, the sky had darkened and only left a slightly purplish tint on the horizon.

However, the moonlight allowed Triana to sight better than when she was inside the castle.

"This is good. We can fly now," Vlador said.

Then, without further ado, Vlador immediately wrapped his arms around Triana's waist while popping out his wings.

In the air, Vlador turned his gaze everywhere and noticed huge clouds were gathering. The air temperature was also getting colder and had a distinctive smell of rain. He could feel the gosling's body shivering in his arms.

"We'll be there soon," He said.

"Looks like it's going to rain soon, isn't it?" Triana smiled faintly while holding back her chattering teeth. "I should have brought the cloak,"

"You don't have a long-term thought," Vlador said. "Well, I didn't think you'd freeze like this either,"

"I'm sorry to mention this, but I thought a vampire's body was cold as ice. But you don't feel that cold, Mr. Vlador," Triana said.

Vlador chuckled, didn't think this girl would notice and even voice it out. "I can say that I am a little different. Most vampires do have cold bodies,"

"You are different?" Triana repeated.  Then she lifted her face to look at Vlador. "To be honest, I did feel you were quite different from the theories about vampires I read about in books. May I know what makes you different?"

Vlador looked into those round eyes. "No."

"W-well. All right then," Triana slowly lowered her gaze back.

Feeling Triana's hands no longer tightly wrapped around his arms, Vlador realized that she seemed to realize that she had gone too far. The time they spent together made him understand that Triana was a curious gosling who had lots of questions. It seemed she had forgotten that they shouldn't be too close.

Vlador must also remember that he was a monster - He was a predator and the gosling was his prey. Triana's blood was the best that had ever flowed down his tongue and throat. Just when their curse was lifted, he promised himself that he would dry her body to avenge the intense thirst he had to endure all this time. However, he might end up having unnecessary feelings if he got too close to her.

Seeing the end of the forest ahead, Vlador slowly flew down and landed among the trees. Unlike before, he now did not land roughly so as not to cause a loud suspicious noise, or… to prevent someone feel frightened to hinder their journey.

Thick clouds covering the stars and moon made it difficult for Vlador to tell the time. However, he was pretty sure that it was now the middle of the night.

Putting down Triana from his arms, Vlador shrunk his wings back into his body. "We shall walk from here,"
Triana nodded. "Well. Thanks for the ride... fly…"

Taking a few steps, Triana stopped when she realized that she was walking alone. She turned to Vlador who was still standing in his original spot. With a confused face, she stepped back toward him.

"Is there something wrong, Mr. Vlador?" She asked.

Vlador didn't answer. He was still focused on changing his body. His black and long nails slowly turned pale and shrunk short. His pale skin gradually acquired a hint of warmth. His eyes were still light brown, but his fangs had shrunk and disappeared.

Trian's eyes widened and she covered her mouth with her hand. "Mister… Mr. Vlador?"

Blinking once, Vlador let out a long breath from his mouth. He then glanced at Triana who was still staring at him with a stiff body like a statue.

"Humans will go insane if they know a vampire is in their midst," Vlador said.

Still gawking, Triana lowered her gaze as she cleared her throat. A faint blush appeared on her cheeks. "Excuse me. I didn't know that vampires could change their form to human. It was very surprising,"

"You seem to know only a handful of all the facts about vampires," Vlador replied before starting to walk.

Triana immediately followed his steps with a small jog until she managed to walk beside him.

"Mr. Vlador, there… there is something I want to tell you," She said.

Through her tone of voice, Vlador could tell that what this gosling was trying to convey to him was bad news. She always stuttered when she was about to say things that would usually make him upset.

"I hope it's a good thing," He said sarcastically.

Triana's silence made him glance at her and realize her lips were tightly glued and her fingers intertwined. That indeed was bad news, it seemed.

"Um… That… I…" Triana muttered.

"Say it clearly," Vlador said firmly.

"I-I... don't remember accurately the way to my teacher's house, so... it looks like we have to ask some people to find his residence,"

"Not surprising," Vlador returned his gaze to the front.

"I've only been to Mr. Winston's residence once many years ago, so I think it's just natural that I don't remember the way to his house."

"That is a reason I can temporarily accept,"

"Wh-why only temporarily?" Triana asked, leaning forward so she could see Vlador's face more clearly.

"Because I won't tolerate it if you make another mistake," Vlador replied.

Coming out of the forest, they were greeted by a fairly large road that was paved neatly. They arrived at the outskirts of the city, but it was a remote part because it was adjacent to the open forest.

Feeling the first drops of water fall on his cheekbone, Vlador looked at the sky to find it was dropping a small drizzle. This was troublesome. On the other hand, the gosling didn't know the way to the witch-writing-reader's house so they had to ask people who weren't visible on this road.

"It's drizzling," Triana muttered as she put her palms up in the air to catch the water droplets.

Glancing at Triana, Vlador noticed that her face was quite pale and her cheeks were still rosy. She looked weaker than her usual appearance -which also looked weak-. Then, he lowered his gaze to her dress to become more aware that the dress she was wearing was soiled quite badly.

Returning his gaze to the front, Vlador glanced around and found a medium-sized two-story building.

"Move," He said to Triana before walking again.

He was right. The building turned out to be a small inn. The rain which might become heavy and the empty road in the middle of the night would not take them anywhere but kill the sick gosling.

"We are staying at this inn. Take a rest and restore your strength," Vlador said to Triana.