Chapter 2: What a surprise

⚔️Y/n P.O.V⚔️

Y/n felt as if she was being watched.

As she walked backstage, she swore she heard rhythmic tapping, along with slight footsteps. She didn't mind, she thought she was being paranoid again.

She remembered the man she just robbed. He was so gullible. Didn't even notice her standing behind him. She smirked at the fact she stole his whole wallet.

Stupid cripple.

She gently lifted her silks and began to tailor her wounds. She heard the tapping, this time, it was fading way. She sighed before she pulled the pocket watch she stole from her bra. Oh Kesh might be on stage again.

She hated seeing her best friend suffer. Kesh was optimistic, kind and beautiful. She deserves better than this. She really hoped Inej convinced Brekker to buy Kesh out. She didn't care if she stayed here herself, Kesh deserves to be free.

" Y/n !!! My dear, come to the saloon, we need to talk." Heleen's honey coated voice roared through her ears. Y/n gulped. She hadn't done anything wrong. She hadn't run, hadn't disobeyed, hadn't stolen anything from Heleen.

Y/n reluctantly entered the saloon. She saw the same cripple she'd robbed standing there. Hands resting on a crow cane. He looked grim and serious.Y/n's heart skipped a few beats. Had he noticed she stole, did he tell Heleen. Was she going to get beaten again. Or worse.

Heleen leaned back in her silken chair and said, "Well, little lynx, it seems you're someone else's problem now. Apparently, Kaz Brekker here has a taste for Suli girls. He's purchased your indenture for a very tidy sum."Y/n swallowed.

"I'm moving to a different house?"Heleen waved a hand. " Mister Brekker doesn't own a pleasure house, Per Haskell does- if you can call it a pleasure house - somewhere in the lower Barrel, but you'd be a waste of his money there - though you'd certainly learn just how kind Tante Heleen has been to you. No, Brekker wants you for his very own." "Per Haskell was the leader of the dregs. Kaz Brekker was his right hand man. The Dirtyhands. Inej's boss.

" What about Kesh." Y/n asked. Heleen scoffed. " That useless Kaelish Mare ? Oh she stays" Y/n sucked in a breath. She couldn't bare the thought of Kesh staying here in this hellhole.

Y/n's thoughts drifted from Kesh to Kaz. Had Inej convinced him to buy her out. Does it matter? Did Brekker buy her for the Dregs or for his own pleasures. What about Kesh ? Y/n's distress must have been obvious because Heleen chuckled slightly. "Don't worry. He's young, quite handsome, and he's taking you somewhere, but he has an infamous reputation on the streets . Brekker's a criminal mastermind." She lifted a shoulder and glanced at Kaz . "Perhaps he'll share you with his sharpshooter boy. Mister Fahey, I think " Kaz turned his cold eyes on Tante Heleen.

"Are we done?" It was the first time Y/n had heard him speak, and she was startled by the rough burn of his voice.

Heleen sniffed, adjusting the neckline of her shimmering blue gown.

"We are indeed, you little wretch."

She heated a stick of peacock blue waxand affixed her seal to the document before her.

Then, she rose and examined her reflection in the looking glass that hung above the mantel. Y/n watched Heleen straighten the diamond choker on her neck, the jewels glinting brightly. They look like stolen stars."Goodbye, little lynx," said Heleen.