CHOICE III

[Hua Cheng's POV]

"San Lang."

"Gege?" Hua Cheng fastened E'ming on his waist. He turned around and sees Xie Lian smiling at him. He sighs fully knowing what their conversation will be. "I will be fine... This is my choice."

Xie Lian, "You're always doing everything on your own." Patting Hua Cheng's cheeks, he gave him a small smile, "you don't have to do this if it's too much."

"Nothing is much when it's about you." Hua Cheng immediately replied, "The same can be said to both Luo Binghe and Wei Wuxian."

"But they are not you nor are like them." Xie Lian's voice rang inside their room. you know Wei Wuxian wanted to save the world for the future... He is doing this because he's too good and has this selfless love for the world... But San Lang... You're doing this for us. Not for the world."

"Was it wrong of me gege? To protect the world you love?"

"It's wrong that you're doing this because of me... If anything... I'm thankful you're agreeing with this... But I wanted you to protect the world because you want it... You wanted to protect it... Not because of me or anyone." Xie Lian pointed out as he smiled at me.

Hua Cheng understood what Xie Lian wanted to say. Xie Lian who has everything lost it, while he who had nothing gained everything. When they couldn't trust anyone when they live on a separate note from everyone, both of them took each other back as support and their choices revolves only around them. What Xie Lian wanted him to do, is to choose a path for him and only him. A path where Hua Cheng learns to trust someone other than him. That he would do something of his own volition because it's what Xie Lian wants him to do.

"Was it wrong of me to protect what makes you happy?"

"You know, this isn't just me and you." Xie Lian replied, "San Lang... After you fought with Bai Wuxiang what are you going to do?"

He was taken aback by Xie Lian's question. Of course, if he's in his right mind, he would go and return to him. However, memories of Wei Wuxian flashed before him. That mortal shouldering what he and Luo Binghe should bear. He thought of everyone aside from Xie Lian was a co-worker—just an ally worse than a pawn to win a fight.

Hua Cheng was used to being alone and he never did dare open himself to anyone aside from Xie Lian.

"Gege."

"San Lang... Do understand me?" He nodded. This isn't a fight just for him. It's a fight he needed to shoulder with others. He can't be selfish just as he had always been. "I won't be there for you... They are."

He's the oldest. He's a thousand-year-old nasty ghost king. He'll fight together with hundreds of years old demon sprawl and a bratty demonic cultivator. Xie Lian is telling him to trust them and support them. Protect them so that they could return to their respective significant person.

"I know..." That's why he asked Wei Wuxian what to do. Because he made his decision the moment he saw Wei Wuxian's resolve to fight. It made him remember that day back when he was still a naive fool who believed he could protect the world just as the person he idolized. That foolish decision to go high and low all to return to someone valuable. He couldn't turn away from those serious silver hues. He can't forget those years born from a choice when there's no way back.

'I will... maybe die...'

Those words squeezed out as apology and promise.

'I will return to you.'

He couldn't help but want to help him as a person who went through the same sadness and isolation.

Wei Wuxian's single plank bridge was also the path he took before this happiness. And no one could understand the pain of one who sacrificed everything other than someone who took the same path.