♤Christmas Death♤

14.

FLASHBACK...

CHRISTMAS EVE...

ARI...

"I was decorating the Christmas tree with my sister Lucia on Christmas eve. I remember on that cold winter morning, wearing so many winter jackets to keep us from freezing and giggling about how Santa's beard might get stuck in the chimney. I believed in Santa, I believed that Christmas presents were brought by him. We finished decorating the tree but we couldn't reach the top of the tree, where the star would be placed. Mom was in the kitchen, prepping the meal for tomorrow and dad was still at work.

Lucia huffed, letting some strand of hair fall on her face, with her hands on her waist. "Chino, how will we do it " She pouted, I laughed and hugged her to my side. Her little frame disappearing beside me. I was five years older, and I had become taller than her, but not tall enough to reach the tip of the tree. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and told her than I'd race her to the kitchen to get mom, she giggled and nodded, starting eventhough she knew I wasn't prepared. I let her win, and she jumped around with a toothless grin, teasing me for being a loser.

I was happy that I could put a smile on my little sister's face. Mom turned to look at us, immediately a soft smile formed on her face and she bent down to hug Lucia, muffling her hair and smiling at me.
"What brings both of you here?" She asked, her tone filled with curiosity and Lucia grinned. "Can you help us with the star?" Lucia's little voice echoed through the kitchen walls. As Mexican children we've been told by our Catholic priest the importance of the star. Father Gustavo would pull our little cheeks and say "No olvides esa estrella brillante en la copa del árbol." I would smile and ask why. He would laugh heartily, nod slightly and continue.."Significa que Jesús, la luz del mundo, viene de nuevo." I would smile and clap with excitement.

I looked at mummy, she nodded her head and followed us to the living room, where the tree stood tall in the middle of the room, with bright lights surrounding it, decorations and gifts at the bottom of the tree. I stood in front of it with Lucia, proud and happy. Mom climbed the ladder, fixed the star on top and smiled down at us.

We liked it.

We heard dad's car in the distance, he was parking it in the garage and I loved running to him to check the car out and pray I can be old enough to drive it. Mom and Lucia looked at me, but I shook my head and stayed there. I'm glad I did.

He walked in angry. I had never seen dad that furious and it scared Lucia and I. Mom gave us soothing hugs and whispered we should go inside our rooms. We run out of his sight, dreading that maybe today he would lose control.

And he did.

I heard distant screams immediately we were out of visual range, both of them tearing each other apart. I heard mom shout, followed by a loud thump. I hid Lucia and run out of the door to peek, but I didn't find mom on the floor, I found dad with blood flowing from his side. He clenched the wounded spot, bending to his knee and gasping for air. But mom shot again and again and again.

I shut my eyes, reminding myself that mummy was still my angel as my father's blood, splattered across the white marvel floor.

Hi guyssssss.... I'm so sorryyyyyy for the long and unannounced break. I'm back and I'll be updating every Wednesday at this time. I love y'all for your love and support.

Don't forget to breathe, the world can wait.💙🦋