♤Final II♤

EVIE

                                                                                         46

His face morphed a frown, he looked hurt at the revelation that his mother was the main orchestrator together with Reagan. I had explained everything, starting from his mother's meeting with my father, and how they both were still in contact. His mother who at the time, was nowhere around as I told him his sad truth was the one that had the key to gold. She had had it all these years, allowing these powerful men and women to play at her feet.

"My mom?" he whispered and I nodded as Cara paced, Taraki working with rapid hands to get the intel to CIA, FBI, MI6, and most importantly, the U.S military. After my father sold me, well not technically, but close to it- Cara joined the military with her then lover Reginald, but after following wrong orders, she got mixed up in this said organization with her name written on all the files with authorization from her at the request of my father, to keep her far away from me and by far- six feet underground. She had to run, because of all the murder threats that followed. When I made contact after ten years, we conceived that we were after the same Intel that would get her name out of the mud and help me on my revenge quest against the Ivanov brothers and my father and also Anika.

Now here we were, at the finish line, my best friend about to clear her name for the crimes she didn't commit. She stood tall, her lean figure glowing under the dark hues of the chandelier. Beautifully carved like the soldier she was. I looked away from her, my eyes on Ari as he asked, "So what now?"

I looked at Cara, and she nodded and I nodded, "Well, for starters, we retrieved the gold. It's yours and you could do whatever you want with it."

His dark brown eyes glistened with an emotion I wasn't ready to accept, "Can I speak to my mom before she gets arrested?" I nodded and asked one of the guards to bring Maria in.

When she arrived, she looked dampened, guilty, and remorseful- emotions my parents never had. She tried touching Ari, "Please...don't. Por favor, mama. Por favor." He whispered, hurt laced in his thick accented Spanish voice. It nudged at my heart, the hurt he felt, his helplessness as he stood in front of the very person who inadvertently caused his downfall with her selfish actions.

We've all had our share of shitty parents and childhood. I offered to step out with Cara and Taraki but he refused, saying he needed the company- for moral support. I stood watching, as he shouted and cursed at his mom, refusing to listen to any sort of explanations she was ready to provide. But come on, can you explain to your child that you did everything that caused years of human degradation for his well-being?

Explanations in my opinion were baseless facts humans sought comfort in to ruin the resolve of others. I hated it, and that is why I chose not to explain to Ari why I hadn't contacted him for two years after my supposed death. I had to shield him from my world and I managed to for two years, but a girl's luck can run as far right?

I hear sirens, and finally, the sounds of resolve rang through the castle building as the Ireland police came to make the first arrest. It was a sight and as Maria walked out with handcuffs and tears in her eyes, I wished that that was my mother, for at least I'd still have hope of change.

SIX MONTHS LATER

The storm had passed, the dust had settled and I was perched on a couch with Cara for Christmas presents. It was the first time in so many years that I was finally celebrating Christmas. I had a cup of cocoa, the exact ones 'I wasn't allowed to drink' and Cara was sipping whiskey, drunkard.

"Can I open my gift now?" I asked Cara who had already opened hers. I had gifted her a lot of Rubosto cigars she could kill herself and a customized cookbook with all my special recipes and all her favorite desserts. She was ecstatic about it but still pouted and told me I would still cook for her.

I agreed, pulling her cheek, and earning another pout. Now it was my turn and it was an envelope which I tore open. It revealed one plane ticket to France. I looked at her, and she nodded.

"He's in France." She provided in a whisper, which I jumped on her for. After Maria's arrest, Ari left a note that he needed space away from me and disappeared like he never existed. I understood and decided not to search for him but-

"Can I have some butter?" came Taraki's voice cutting me from my thoughts. Cara glared and threw a throw pillow at him.

"Get out of here Philidelphia freak"

"it's Philipines, creep." He provided and walked away as I laughed my lungs out, throwing my hands around Cara as she caught it. She rubbed my back, holding me close to her heart.

"What about all your food?" I mumbled as tears rolled down my eyes.

"I'll be too busy saving the world to eat." I stopped, pulled out her hold, and narrowed her eyes at her, "You're now looking at the 0-10 of the US Army." I snorted in a laugh of excitement, hugging my best friend again. She was finally living her biggest dream.

"I Love you," I whispered behind her

"I Love you too." She squeezed. 

                                                                               THE END

I'm so excited. I wanted to drag this out longer than this, and though I'm grateful for the engagement on this book, I feel like I did shit with it. 

I'm currently working on a new book I want to release at the end of this month. I still don't have a book cover yet but wish me luck and stay tuned for updates. you could follow me on my socials (link in Bio) for when I'll release this book. 

I love you all for the love, support, and engagement. 

ciao.