Chap. 1

Brady's pov.

Swinging the bale of hay onto the back of my Chevy pick up, I swipe the sweat trickling its way down my brow.

I swear the temperature went up a couple of degrees since this morning. But what was I to expect in Arizona during the summer. I'd spent most of my life out here, so I was use to the harsh sun rays.

Not to mention the nitty gritty dirty work that had to be done on my family's farm. I took the time to stop and actually look around at the twenty five acres of nothing but grass. It was a beautiful sight, the sun just rising over the peak of clouds, that promised a nice day.

A hell of a hot day at that...

After swiping at my brow again, I repeat the whole motion of picking up hay and tossing it. That is until a sharp whistle pierces the air around me.

"Hey Brady, ya wreckin' you can stop for a moment. You've been lifting forty pound bales since seven in the morning boy. It's already four in the afternoon." Jep yells as he continues his stride over to me.

His long legs covered in weathered jeans and his top half clothed in a red and black flannel. How he survived out here in long sleeves, I have not one idea, but he wore them faithfully.

"When did you get here?" I ask and he shrugs his shoulders. "I've been here taking care of the cows and other animals since six. What about you?"

"Since five, damn did you say it was four?" He laughs and adjusts his Stetson on top of his copper and grey hair. "Yessiree, ya mamma is gonna skin your hide real good." He teases as I walk around to the driver's side of my pickup.

"You don't have to remind me, I was suppose to go have supper with her, but knowing mama she's probably already started on dinner." I say while pulling on my offish brown tank top, and throwing my gloves into the tail of my truck.

"Damn, you in a for a lashing for sure." He says while rolling up the sleeves of his flannel.

"Are you coming with me to momma's, I'm pretty sure she has extra food to spare. You know how she gets, once she steps into the kitchen, it's like thanksgiving dinner everyday." I say while patting my stomach, which makes him scoff.

"I don't need another fifty pounds added to my body son, I'm getting to old to work it off. I'll catch you later, make sure you tell your folks I said hello." He mumbles as I turn on the ignition.

"Will do, see you around man, it was nice seeing you again." I say truthfully, and he smiles. "Same, it's always a surprise when you come back home, thinking about moving back permanently?" He asks and I cut the A/C on, rolling the windows down to let out all the hot air.

"I already do, my job just makes me have to travel a lot you know, the farm can only afford to pay my folks bills not mines you know? So papa understood why I wanted to travel and pursue my own dreams and career. Gotta make money somehow aye?"

Jep nods his head in agreement. "Yeah, I understand...money runs the world. Hey just stop by sometimes, Marie misses you and your pie obsession. I've never seen someone eat two whole pies in under two hours." He laughs and I join in.

"Yeah I will soon, tell her to have me two fresh apple pies ready. See ya later Jep." I call out and he waves me off, before pulling out his work gloves to finish what I didn't do.

Pulling out of the field I head down the long dirt road, fiddling with the radio until I get to a good station. "Damn I'm tired..." I sigh out. I was just ready to get home, to my house where I could take a nice cold shower, and hit the hay.