Chap. 2

Mason's pov.

I dance around the room in excitement. In two days time, I'd be on a plane to Arizona. God it felt like my life was flying by, I was only twenty.

"Oh my god—oh my god!" I jump on my bed and bounce like there's no tomorrow. Even though this was a sad occasion, I just couldn't hide my enthusiastic attitude.

He gave me the only thing I ever wanted in my life...it was no doubt about it, I had the best professor in the world. Bless his old soul may Mr. Luis rest in peace.

At least now he could be up in heaven with his late wife Alexandra.

"Max what did I tell you about jumping on the bed?" My mom chaste me with a disapproving look. I groan and plop down flat on my back, the bed still bouncing slightly, jostles my form and I slip into the floor.

"Ma I moved out just so I could do what I want. Stop treating me like a child." She sticks her head around my corner with a glare. "Are you talking back to me mister?" She asks menacingly.

"No ma'am." I say and quickly shake my head in fear. If its one thing that I know better of, it's not to answer that question with yes. She'd probably take my head off of my shoulders. Grown or not, I'm still her child.

"Good cio, I'd hate to embarrass you, now come give mommy a hug." She says tearfully, with a few sniffles thrown in at some point.

Rolling my eyes, I sigh at her dramatics. "Mom I'm not dying, only moving away. Come on don't cry, or you'll make me cry."I tell her as she grabs me in a tight hug. "My baby–" she whines and rocks us side to side.

Once she pulls back from suffacating me with her boobs, she smooths my curls out of my face. "I know but my only baby boy is moving. Not to mention all the way across the country!"

I wince at her loud sniffles and clutch my chest. I hate seeing my mother cry, and this took the icing on the cake. I was making her dad, but I couldn't stay in New York for ever.

I needed to expand my horizons and become my own person. Not be stuck up under her and dad all my life. Walking over to one out a dozen of my suit cases, I zip it up.

"Yes–but I'm doing it for something I love mommy. It's not like I'm chasing a love interest, or popping pills in random night clubs. I'm actually doing something with my life, you should be proud."

I say, and she nods her head as she walks over to my bed. "Yes baby I know and I'm sorry. I'm just worried like any other parent would be...your my little bambino, I'm going to alway worry, and so is your father." She finishes while twiddling her fingers.

She's making this hard for me.

Crawling over to her, I try to smile reassuringly. "Mommy, I'm worried too. I'm moving to a whole new state, where I know no one. I'm just as scared and I'm trying to look at the bright sides of my situation."

I tell her and she glances at me. " Hey—I'll call, and you can even come and visit me."

Her face lights up and she nods her head, while pulling out her iPhone. "Good I'll get me and your father's plane tickets right now." My eyes go wide in amusement, and I stop her fingers that are flying across the screen.

"Mommy after I get settled okay, I promise. Just think about it this way, your little boy is now a lawyer." Pouting she stands up off of the bed quickly. "Why?" She whines and I watch as she paces the room, her arms moving wildly around.

"Why do you have to go to Arizona. We live in New York they're plenty of law firms here. Here where your family is, and where we know that you're safe." I nod my head in agreement. "Yes I know, but mommy this was given to me as a gift. I can't just pass up an opportunity like this, don't you get it. This is a once in a life time."

I say softly and she slumps her shoulders in defeat.

"I know, but why did Mr. Louis give you his law firm in the will? Why the hell did he even have a law firm in Arizona for, if he was teaching in NYU."

I think about my old professor, and smile.

"He and his wife lived in Arizona, before she passed. Once she passed he moved here and left the law firm in the hands of his trustee to run. I guess he trusted me, not to mention that we connected more on and intimate level. He was like the Nonno that I never got to meet."

My mom nods her head and sits down on the floor, grabbing a pair of pants to fold them.

"Do they know that they're taking away my best friend?" She asks, and I tear up. "Mommy you're making this hard for me." I cry while hugging her from the side. "I know I'm horrible." She whispers and I kiss her cheek. "Mommy you're my best friend too." Kissing my temple, she lets out a scoff. "You bet you little twink."

My whole body flushes red and I cover my face. "Mom–really are you serious right now!" I yell in embarrassment, and she pokes my side.

"Text me as soon as you see a hunk up there, and practice safe sex baby." I flush an even darker red, if possible and she lets out a scream, making me jump.

"Never mind, I want grandkids before I'm forty!" My hands try to wipe away the mortification as I shake my head. "First of all–I can't have kids, second I'm telling dad on you!"

She smirks. "Oh yeah, I'll tell him you snuck into a gay bar last Saturday you minor." I throw a Imagine Dragons shirt at her. "You wouldn't, plus I'm twenty which means I'm practically a grown that can't drink yet."

She smiles smugly and my heart drops. Why do I feel like she has something over my head.

"Yeah but all these pictures with you drunk—." She trails off and I throw my hands in the air. "You win, but I'm still smarter than you." I stick my tongue out and she tilts her head back with a laugh.

"I don't doubt that Mr 'I graduated college at age twenty for law'. But that's because you graduated high school at sixteen." She says with fake annoyance.

"I'm going to miss you so much." I sigh and she just pulls me into her embrace.

{Edited 11/13/16}