Chapter 5. Worst gameday part 1

2 May 2021

Today we play our last away game of the season against Everton. My parents are making the drive up there to watch us play. They can't be at the last home game because of obligations from the Dutch women's team. So, they decided to watch this game instead.

Before the game they are going to lunch with Leah's and Beth's parents. They have always done that since we all started playing together for Arsenal. Their family is my family and vice versa. It started with Leah and mine parents through the youth academy. Later when Beth joined from Sunderland and we from the academy. I instantly became friends with her. Wanting her to feel at home and our parents did the same by getting lunch together before the games they went to see.

We are warming-up and like always I scan the crowd to search for my family. At home games they are always in the same spot, but here I really have to look for them. Leah sees me struggling to find them and searches with me.

Once she finds hers and mine family and also Beth parents sitting together in the stands she points them out for me. After waving I can go on with the warming-up. I don't really have superstitions but maybe this is one of them. I need to wave at my parents before the game to get in my focus. Otherwise I will search for them through the whole game and my focus isn't on playing.

When they can't watch the game I always wave to Leah's or Beth's parents or to the place they would be seated.

We walk out the tunnel. Beth is walking in front of me. Once we are standing in a line on the field we always hold hands for a second. We do this since Beth was standing next to me at a game in the under 20's for England, but I didn't notice we stopped walking. I walked right into Beth, she stumbled and almost fell. I grabbed her hand to steady her and now we do it all the time.

Talk about me not having superstitions...

The game is going back and forth. Until Katie scores in the 22 minutes. After the goal nothing much happens and we soon get into half-time. In the second half Everton scores and Viv gets a yellow card all around the 70th minute. In extra time we get a penalty. Kim scores it, which makes us the winners.

It definitely wasn't our best game, but a win is a win.

Like always we make a round on the field to meet some of the fans that travelled to Everton. I take some pictures with them, sign their shirts and talk about the game with them. There is one fan in particular, she is around 10 years old I guess, who is at almost every game with her dad and she is the loveliest kid I know. I make my way over to her once I spot her in the crowd of fans lined up.

"Ava! How was the game my little friend?" I ask her while I give her a hug.

"I loved it, you were awesome." She exclaims.

We were talking about her upcoming games with her team when Beth gets up to us. "My dudes, how is it going with my favorite fan?" She asks Ava and giving me a side hug, letting her arms rest on my shoulders.

"I got you two something, well more Alix but it's for you too Beth." Ava says taking something out of her Arsenal bag. "A pack of yellow and red cards so you can give Beth the cards she deserves." She giggles saying the last sentence.

Beth is standing there with her mouth agape. I take out the yellow and red cards They all got Beth's face on them. I laugh out loud at the great gift she got me. "I love them Ava, now she can't foul me during our one vs one games, thank you." I hug her once more.

Last week I shared a video of me and Beth playing one vs one. At some point Beth wrongly tackles me and scores out of it. I pretended to take out a yellow card, now I can give her cards for real.

We say our goodbyes to Ava and a save journey home. After our round on the field we make our way inside. Some of the parents and family came down to have a talk before they head back home.

I walk over to Leah. She is talking with hers and mine parents. "You did great kid, can't wait to see you shine again next season." My father says proudly.

We decide to take a picture with both the families. Leah and I standing in the middle. Everybody is genuinely happy in the picture. Smiles from ear to ear. I post it on my Instagram with the caption 'Family is all you need'.

It happens all the time when Leah and I share a picture with our families together. The fans have no clue if we really are family or we chose to be family. To be fair if you see us interact with each other in real life you would think we indeed are family.

My parents again say their goodbyes to everybody they know. It is typical Dutch behavior walking past everybody shaking hands to say bye. Some of the players give them a hug back instead.

"We are riding back to the Netherlands, so we will be there later tonight. We love you, kiddo. Good luck next week and don't forget to enjoy playing." My mother tells me giving me a hug and a kiss on my cheek.

"I love you too mom and dad, see you in a couple weeks." I bid my goodbyes.

Once we are all dressed we leave the stadium to the coach. It's a long ride back. I'm sitting next to Leah who is doing some crossword puzzles, while I'm watching City play. Chloe already scored twice. After some time, I fall asleep on Leah's shoulder.

"Liv we are back in London." Leah gently shakes me awake.

Off the bus Jonas makes his way to Leah and me."Can you both come with me into the office." There is a sound of pity in hisvoice. Why? No clue.