Chapter 19. Home coming

3 august 2021

The referee blows her whistle to start the game, I'm watching from the bench. The girls were on fire, especially Jordan. She was going places and with places I mean the whole field. It resulted in two shots from her which went just over the bar. As if that was not enough she combined a lot with McCabe for some good assists from the left wing. The energy she was having was unmatched.

Besides creating those major chances, the girls didn't get the ball in. They kept on pressing Chelsea, not letting them have a chance on goal. As soon as they lost the ball, they got it back again. Maanum, who is playing her first match as a Gunner, was running on the right side coming closer to the box to cut the ball back to McCabe. Who found herself in a perfect position near the penalty area. She unleashed a powerful shot that found the back of the net.

A roar of exhilaration erupted from the stands as the fans cheered on McCabe's well-executed goal. I jump up from my seat bolting my fist in the air. Friendly match or not, winning this game means a lot to everyone on the field. The energy in the stadium was also infectious.

We are going into half time with the 1-0 score line. Jonas told me even though I didn't train like the rest, I was going to play at the beginning of the second half.

As the second half kicked off, Jordan's energetic presence continued to dominate the pitch. She moved with lightning speed, weaving through the Chelsea defence and creating opportunities for our teammates. Just minutes into the second half, Jordan found herself in a prime position to score. With a swift strike, she sent the ball towards the goal, but it was denied by the crossbar.

The crowd let out a collective groan of disappointment, but the team's spirit remained undaunted. Jordan's relentless efforts and combination plays with McCabe were keeping Chelsea on the defensive, unable to catch a breath.

Jonas' voice echoed through my mind as he had told me I would be playing in the second half. I felt a mixture of excitement and nerves as I prepared to step onto the field. Not only because I hadn't trained as intensively as the others, but because this was the first ever game I will be playing without my parents being in the stands.

As the clock ticked, I finally heard my name being called. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart, and made my way onto the field. The cheers from the crowd spurred me on, and I focused on the game ahead. The familiar weight of my jersey and the thrill of the competition reminded me why I loved the sport so much. Why I started playing it in the first place. Even if my parents won't be in the stands, I know they will be watching.

Unfortunate for Jordan she got into a collision with Erin Cuthbert, her ankle was caught and she needed to be stretch off the field.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, Reanna Blades managed to equalizes for the Blues against the run of play on a swift counterattack. The stadium was filled with a mix of tension and disbelief, but there was an air of determination among us to regain the lead. The fans were on the edge of their seats, the excitement of the match building to a next level.

As the clock continued to come closer to the 90th minute, McCabe's pace and skill shone through once again. She seized possession of the ball and surged past the Chelsea defence with lightning speed. I'm sprinting along the left flank, determined to make a meaningful contribution to the match. McCabe's precise pass found my feet, and without hesitation, I unleashed a fierce shot that sailed into the bottom corner of the net, leaving Ann-Katrin Berger with no chance of making a save.

The crowd erupted again, celebrating the stunning strike that had once again put us in the lead. I fall on my knees, tears streaming down my face as I knelt down on the grass, a flood of memories and emotions overwhelming me. The weight of losing my parents come crashing back in, the immense joy of the goal was mingled with the bittersweet absence of my parents to share it with. The one thing I have been struggling with the most, in the past few months.