Chapter 13. The Home Olympics

21 july-2021

A month has passed and the GB team is currently in Tokyo. I made lots of night trips to Beth, meaning waking up Lucy in the middle of the night over and over again. We came up with a solution which has been a success ever since. Beth, Jordan and I live at mine and Lucy's house in Manchester during the time they are in Tokyo. It's big enough for the three of us and it feels like a get away with friends. We will go back to London once pre-season starts with Arsenal.

It's 6 in the morning, I know early birds. Jordan is at home with her family for some time and comes back after. The game against Chile starts at 08:30 local time. We decided to wake up earlier for our morning routine. Which starts with food, in this case pancakes.

"Beth you want some pancakes?" I shout from downstairs.

"Yes, can you put..."

"I will put chocolate in them, do not worry my friend!" I finish her sentence.

Making my way back to the kitchen I vaguely hear her yell a thanks.

I'm almost finished baking when I feel two secure arms hold me firmly around my shoulders. "They smell amazing mate, I think I'm going stay and live with you forever." She drags out the last word.

"I think I would have a fight with a certain Dutchie. Who will not be pleased if you don't go back to her." I say back.

"That sounds like a you problem." She retorts back letting me go from the hug.

"Thanks for your concerns, I really appreciate them." I say sarcastic.

During our pancake eating we discuss what's on the planning today. First, to finish our morning routine, we will jog around the neighbourhood. We got to stay fit. Then we are going to do some passing-drills in the backyard and finish with a one-vs-one game.

Once we get back we will shower and make ourselves ready for the game. After the game Beth will buy some groceries and I need to study for my thesis-defence. If I pass I can officially call myself a marine biologist. I have a month before I need to defend my thesis. It is about the rising sea levels and what impact it has on the marine ecosystem. For the paper itself I got an A already, they were really font of my research. I'm glad I did most of the work before shit went down, because there would be no way I could have gotten an A if I needed to do all the work after my parents' death.

A half hour before the start of GB against Chile we finished our sport session. Beth claimed the shower first, so I'm patiently waiting for my turn.

After my shower we are finally laid-back on the couch and it's only 08:30 in the morning. This is going to be a long day. I sit with my back against the couch and Beth sits in between my legs with her head on my chest. To be fair it's a very comfortable position we're in.

Lucy is in the starting 11. As she should be. In my opinion she is one of the best defenders and she still can make progress in being even better.

Team GB is the better team on paper and it shows. They get chance after chance to make a goal. In the 11th minute White scores but it's ruled offside. Soon after White scores again and makes it 1-0 for real this time.

"Come on girls, get in!" Beth shouts bolding her fists at the tv screen staying in the position she is in. The game goes on with mostly GB in possession of the ball, but they are not able to score again before the half-time whistle.

During the second half they secure a second goal. It's Ellen White again, with an assist from Lucy. After seeing the ball going in she is sprinting to Ellen with a smile from ear to ear.