Chapter 16. Not very Mead

29 July 2021

Call us crazy, but we have a party planned tonight and tomorrow our pre-season starts. With both Beth and I not in a great mood because of everything happening around June, which makes me think about my parents more than I hoped, we thought it would be great to end our Manchester era with a party. Even if it's just to let go of all our emotions.

We are in the middle of discussing what we need to buy for our little get together, when Lucy calls me on facetime.

"Hey you" I beam at Lucy, happy to see her face again. I can't wait to hold her in my arms, but I know I will have to wait some more time.

She replies with a short hey and leaves it at that. Which is weird, she calls me but doesn't want to talk?

"You seem off babe, what's up?" I ask kindly walking out of the living room to the garden to get some privacy away from our noisy friends.

She tries to wave it off with a 'nothing', but that's not going to happen. Not on my watch.

"There is obviously something bothering you Luce, please talk to me." I plead while also thinking to myself what could be wrong. Is it something I did?

"I just whished you would have congratulated me by now, with reaching the quarter finals. It's not every day you reach something this big. I'm really proud of myself and the team and it hurts you don't acknowledge it, that's all." She answers my pleading.

Shit that totally slipped my mind. "Omg, I'm so sorry. It totally slipped my mind."

"I will be honest with you, it sometimes makes me feel like I don't matter enough. And I get it you are not watching the games, I'm fine with that, but please be civil enough and read into what we are achieving. Not getting the feeling you are proud and supporting me makes me feel like you love me less."

She catches me of guard with her honesty. Although who is there to surprise she is always honest about how she is feeling. I totally get why she is kind off mad about it. It's stupid from my side to forget to text or call her. "I'm sorry I made you feel this way, it wasn't my intention. I feel stupid for being so selfish, forgetting how it makes you feel and you deserve to feel the love I have for you."

"I know you feel sorry and I know there is a lot going on. It just makes me feel all alone, even though I'm surrounded by friends." The hurt in her voice is painful. I hate to see her this way and it hurts I'm the one causing this hurt. I need to step up my girlfriend game.

"I want to hug you and make that feeling go away, I really didn't mean to be a shittie girlfriend. You mean the world to me and yes, I'm so proud of you and all the things you achieve. I should have said that earlier, I will do anything to make it up to you."

She slightly chuckles. "Don't be silly, you recognizing you made a mistake is already making up for it. Maybe I overreacted a bit too." She tries to talk her own feelings down.

"No, no you didn't. You have all the rights to be proud of the things you achieve and expecting a message from me. I should have had congratulated you, because you are an astonishing player and an even more amazing girlfriend. I will do better Luce, I promise! I love you."

"I love you too my honey pony." She says smirking.

"Oh no don't start again with the honey pony." I say holding my head in my hands.

She giggles. "Deep down you love it."

We talk some more about the tournament and us having a party planned. I'm glad she talked about how she is feeling about me stupidly forgetting her to me. I know I need to do better, to be a better girlfriend. I sometimes forget I'm not the only one with emotions, there is a whole other person, with all sorts of feelings of her own, I have to take into consideration.