x. revenge

ATLANTIS

"denial is the first step in revenge."

ALORA SAT ON HER BED, STARING AIMLESSLY AT THE WALL.

She had no emotions. No thoughts. She didn't know what to do, if she wanted to cry, or if she wanted to just sleep and never wake up.

Sure, she never had a perfect relationship with her mom, but who did?

Alora picked at her manicured nails until her door creaked open to reveal none other than Gerard.

"Sweetheart.." He slowly said, as if he was testing the waters.

She sharply inhaled. "I don't want to talk."

The man nodded. "I understand. I'm not sure if there's anything I can say. I won't pretend to know what you're going through."

"Then leave." Alora whispered, not wanting her voice to break.

"Of course. I just wanted to give you something from your mother. Partly because I couldn't help noticing that things have been kind of difficult between you two." He turned to leave. "But, it can wait.."

Alora perked up and quickly spoke. "What? What is it?"

"No, really, sweetheart, it can wait. You get some rest." He assured.

"What is it?" She demanded.

"As you know, your mother wrote a suicide note to explain away our difficult situation to the police." Gerard held up an envelope. "She wrote this one to explain it to you. If I give this to you, you have to destroy it immediately. You burn it. You promise?"

Alora nodded immediately. "I promise."

He suddenly said something else. "I want you to know.. she asked me to read it. I told her I shouldn't, that it was private between the two of you. But, she wanted my thoughts. As I said before, I don't know what you're going through. I wasn't close to my own mother. But, reading this made me sorry I hadn't tried to be. Because if this were my mother, if these words were written for me, I don't know how I could sit still until someone paid for her death. Any pity I'd have for Derek and his pack would be burned out by a white-hot desire for retribution— a kind of blood and destruction that would have Derek and his wolves howling, not for mercy, but for their own sweet deaths."

And with that, Gerard left her room, leaving the envelope in the hands of the teenage girl.

Dear My Sweet Alora,

By the time you're reading this, I'll be dead. And I want you to know that I am so sorry. For putting you through the school that brought you home crying each night, for not listening to you when you begged me to let us leave the world of the supernatural, and most of all, for when you couldn't say I love you back.

I remember when you first began hunting. You always took special attention to any type of knife or dagger. Your dad and I bought you your first ring daggers and I could see the pure happiness on your face. I know that an eight year old shouldn't be excited about knives, but you were the exception. A gorgeous girl who had a passion for being the best.