Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Is she the one?"

Muted voices made Hawk's ears twitch in confusion. Who were they? She let out a low-throated growl of warning, tensing her muscles.

"Who are you!?" She bristled, and blinked open her eyes.

A dark grey tom stared back at Hawk serenely. "Greetings, Hawk." He purred. "Welcome to your new home."

Hawk stared intently at the cat. He had a dark grey pelt, glistening blue eyes, and... wings?!

Almost instantly, Hawk regretted her sudden move on the aggressive side of things. A sudden bursting headache made her scrunch up her eyes once more. Nonetheless, she let out a low throated growl.

Once the sudden jolt had gone away, Hawk narrowed her eyes, and saw that the two cats were sitting together in a tense, low-voiced discussion. She pricked her ears to hear any tidbits about the conversation, but when she could hear none, Hawk tried to figure out her surroundings and what had happened.

She was laying down on a soft green cushion of moss, while rock walls loomed all around her. She was in some sort of cave-like den that could probably fit about five cats comfortably.

A closer inspection revealed that there were two other nests available for use in the cave. One was pushed to the side, but the other was clearly in use, decorated with small bright flowers. Hawk couldn't remember what had happened to get her here, though, not until she looked down at her own body.

A sudden gasp escaped her, causing the two cats to sharply glance up at her, before continuing on with their conversation.

Tightly woven cobwebs laced her forepaw, binding in some sort of sweet smelling herb. Blood crusted on the edge of the cobweb. Tilting her head, Hawk also saw patches of cobweb along her back, and several little scratches.

Looking at her body all the memories return to her as fast as the swift blow to her head had knocked her head. She had been trying to get to Blaze, then she'd stumbled upon a little kit with wings, then she'd come right in the path of the avalanche.

I hope the little guy's okay... Hawk thought about it without thinking. Instantaneously, she winced inwardly. Adder would claw my fur off if she knew, Hawk reflected uneasily. Was her mother furious, or panicking now that her last kit was gone?

Hawk was fed up with lying around while the two cats spoke to her as though she were even duller than a kit. Jerking her head around to face the two winged beasts, she hissed.

"How'd you even find me?! And what's the big idea with you calling this my 'new home'?"

The pale ginger tabby she-cat gasped when Hawk spoke, eyes narrowing to slits. She fanned out her amber-shaded wings elegantly, and narrowed her eyes.

"What gives you the right to speak to us like that, rogue?" She snapped.

Before Hawk could open her jaws to protest, the dark grey tom flicked his tail at the amber-winged she-cat in a calming gesture. Reluctantly, she settled herself down, guarding the exit to the den, and began grooming her wings. Still, her narrowed eyes were settled on Hawk.

"Apologies for your discomfort." The dark grey cat's voice cracked when he spoke, and Hawk realised that he must be very old. "My name is Talonstar, and I only come with offerings of peace."

Hawk narrowed her eyes but said nothing. She was keenly aware that she was outnumbered. There were probably even more cats outside, just waiting to take her down. As Hawk watched Talonstar, she noticed how he was trying to hold his temper. Even if he hid it well, she guessed he was quite furious.