Chapter 22

Chapter 22

 "Alright, come on."

Hawkpaw glared at Flamepaw as the CometClan apprentice finished retying her vine leash onto her neck. His eyes were tired as he ordered her to follow him out of the den, although his command was as sharp as ever.

It had been a quarter moon since her first day spent in CometClan camp. While she was constantly harassed, mocked, and forced to do labour around camp, Hawkpaw hadn't actually left CometClan camp for a full day. That was what was happening today.

Apparently, Nightstar was beginning to settle into her leadership, pick out her closest allies, and was now ready for her plans of conquest to move forward at full throttle. She was already planning a battle...With Hawkpaw fighting FalconClan warriors as what she called the 'centre attraction.'

Hawkpaw glanced back at Smokepaw, her vine leash also having been reattached by Flamepaw Her eyes were fixed on the ground as a CometClan warrior gripped the leash in their jaws.

"Let's go!"

Flamepaw jerked Hawkpaw's leash, forcing her to shift her gaze away from her best friend. Nightstar was getting less and less forgiving of Smokepaw since many of her clanmates weren't making a full recovery; Smokepaw didn't have access to the right herb. She'll be okay for the day, Hawkpaw rationned. Smokepaw had told her just the previous night that she could handle it on her own.

Another jerk. "Rogue!"

Hawkpaw padded out behind Flamepaw as he gripped the vine in his jaws. She didn't resist, but neither did she give the annoying ginger cat the satisfaction of having complete control over her.

"Hello, dear Flamepaw." Hawkpaw looked up and saw Nightstar padding toward her and Flamepaw Ravenfeather watched the interaction from the shadows, claws unsheathed.

Just at the sight of the new CometClan leader, Hawkpaw's heart began to pound. Blood tipped the claws of Nightstar, and fresh daisies were woven into a braid on her head. Poison around her head. Nightstar was one for theatrics, and this certainly proved it. Beside Hawkpaw, Flamepaw tensed.

He averted his gaze. "Hello, Nightstar," he meowed, voice dripping with awe and respect. "I'm just taking the rogue out."

Nightstar's eyes gleamed as she padded up to Hawkpaw. Instinctively, Hawkpaw let out a growl, backing away from her. Nightstar chuckled. In a flash of black fur, she was beside Hawkpaw, moving before Hawkpaw could even blink. She laughed.

"How are you today, rogue?"

"Fine." Hawkpaw dipped her head to Nightstar.

Nightstar glanced up at Flamepaw sharply. He narrowed his eyes, and gave her a tight nod, before strutting up to Hawkpaw.

"Master!" He snarled. "We are your Masters!"

More warriors were padding out of their dens, clearly curious about the ruckus. Nightstar nodded, coldly to Flamepaw. Before Hawkpaw could react, the ginger tom swung a sharp blow at her face, cold, fast, and precise. It was impossible to dodge.

First came silence. Then came ruthless agony.

Hawkpaw felt blood dribbling down her face from where Flamepaw had stuck out at her. It was right below her eye, the same eye where Adder had scarred her all those moons ago.

Flamepaw stood above her as Hawkpaw's vision swam.

"What do you call us?" He snarled in her ear. When Hawkpaw didn't respond, he shrieked. "Speak, you mangepelt!"

"Mas-t-ter," Hawkpaw whispered.

Nightstar cocked her head at Flamepaw. "I can't hear her," she meowed. "Perhaps another blow would liven our rogue up?"