Chapter 40

Chapter 40

The sudden blast of wind all around Hawkpaw knocked the breath out of her. Heart pounding, she turned, trying to see where Smokepaw and Coalfang were. They had only fallen a few heart beats behind her. Sudden claws pierced her tail, making Hawkpaw jerk her chin around.

"What are you doing, you Feral?!" Dawnclaw screeched, trying to slash at Hawkpaw's belly. The wind nearly whipped her voice away.

Hawkpaw turned on her. For the first time in her life, she saw the beginnings of fear flash onto Dawnclaw's expression as they began to fall even faster. She almost relished the stricken expression, knowing how many cats' lives she was avenging and saving.

Unlike Dawnclaw, Hawkpaw felt entirely at peace. She wondered if this was how Adderpaw and Flamepaw had felt in their final moments, knowing that they had done something right, fulfilled a purpose. Then Hawkpaw remembered Smokepaw and Coalfang, and fear made her belly cramp.

"I know you're scared, you Feral," Dawnclaw taunted, while her paws flailed to get a grip on Hawkpaw. "But have no fear. I can't be killed! I have control! Hold onto me, and we can stay together forever. You'll be my Feral, and I'll forgive you, and love you an-"

Hawkpaw slashed her paw straight across Dawnclaw's cheek, narrowly missing her throat.

She stared deep into Dawnclaw's eyes. "It's over." She took a deep breath. "Accept it, Dawnclaw. You lost."

Dawnclaw glared at her. "Well," she retorted. "You lost more than me! My darling Feral, we will create a nation of Fer-"

Around Hawkpaw, she felt the spirits of countless cats. Some she didn't know, while others she knew personally. They weren't all waiting, watching. Suddenly, Hawkpaw saw Smokepaw and Coalfang. They were only a tail length away from her, both of them in a freefall.

"Just look at your poor, poor friend," Dawnclaw purr seemed to wreath in the air all around Hawkpaw. "My monstrous Feral is going to kill her, just like you killed your mother...Poor dear, I'm the only one that loves you."

Hawkpaw gritted her teeth. "Smokepaw!" She shrieked.

Smokepaw turned her head around, eyes glittering with grief. Coalfang too stared up at Dawnclaw, eyes angry and desolate. Hawkpaw shifted her gaze towards Dawnclaw, who was still muttering about how much of a good Feral Hawkpaw was.

They were going to hit the ground soon. Dawnclaw had dug her claws deep into Hawkpaw's shoulder fur, making the, go down faster than Smokepaw and Coalfang. Soon, they would be on level with the two littermates, who had fallen first.

"Good Feral!" Dawnclaw shrieked. "You're going to break my fall, aren't you! My darling pet, my lovely Fer-"

It's now or never. Hawkpaw didn't want to kill, but she knew she had to. It wasn't even that hard to, considering how much Dawnclaw had taken from others. Turning around, Hawkpaw raised a paw, and slit Dawnclaw's throat.

Time seemed to slow down as Dawnclaw let out an ear-splitting screech. Her claws dislodged from Hawkpaw's pelt, and she began falling, faster and faster. Unlike the rest of the cats, who were either half-starved or naturally scrawny, Dawnclaw fell faster. Hawkpaw glanced one last time into Dawnclaw's eyes, the she-cat now below her. For the first time in her life, Hawkpaw saw fear.

Then, she turned to Smokepaw.

They were losing height fast. Looking down, Hawkpaw was now able to see the faces of cats gathered around the Starlight Pool. My friends...As Hawkpaw turned, she felt determination sparking in her paws. Smokepaw's gaze mirrored her own.