Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Hawkpaw stared blankly ahead as the sun slowly began to fall. She was laying on the ground, while Flamepaw fiddled uncomfortably with the end of her harness. His eyes were fixed blankly ahead as he watched the last of the warriors file out of camp.

"You're sure you can't come?" Nightstar blinked her eyes playfully at Flamepaw.

Flamepaw shook his head. "I can't leave the rogue alone," he mutered. "You know what she could do to all those sick cats! She'd kill them the instant I dropped this vine."

Nightstar padded over to Hawkpaw curiously. She gestured at Hawkpaw, flipping her paw upside down. Roll over. Hawkpaw knew the command instantly. She still felt a wretched hole in heart from the memory of Fernblade's eyes glazing over, and obliged with little resistance.

Nightstar purred as she rubbed Hawkpaw's belly. She liked doing it almost as much as Dawnclaw, even more now that she knew Hawkpaw was a monster.

"Well, my little pet," Nightstar chuckled as she made Hawkpaw squirm. "I think I'll let you take down the sick cats tomorrow. But," she made a tut-tut noise and shook her head, "guarding them so they don't get out is your job for the night."

"Yes, Master." Hawkpaw murmured.

Nightstar let out a huff of satisfaction before turning away towards her deputy, Ravenfeather. The deputy shot Flamepaw an icy stare as though she would very much like Hawkpaw to kill him, but then she sauntered away.

After several heartbeats, Flamepaw turned to Hawkpaw. "Just Juniperberry and Mottlepatch in camp now, and I gave the cankerous Mottlepatch those poppy seeds." He sneered as he thought of the warrior. "Smokepaw told Juniperberry the plan?"

Hawkpaw nodded, glaring at Flamepaw. He blinked as he realised he was seated on the second of the two leashes attached to her harness, and let her up.

"Sorry," he muttered an apology.

"It's fine."

Hawkpaw flicked her tail at Flamepaw to check and make sure that Mottlepatch had passed out. She guessed he would have by now. At the same time, Juniperberry bounded back from where she was guarding the camp entrance. The former elder's eyes widened when she saw Hawkpaw, then she let out a sigh.

"Right, Smokepaw told me you were on our side." Then she padded onwards heavily, as though she didn't really expect Hawkpaw to have much to say beyond that. Then, she turned back. "May as well help Smokepaw distribute the last of the strength herbs."

Hawkpaw nodded, and bounded into the Medicine Den. Her vine leashes trailed in the grass behind her, but Flamepaw had promised to take off the harness once the mission was complete. He had told Hawkpaw he was probably the only cat to be able to untie the knots, and still it would take a long time. He had freed her wings, though.

As soon as Hawkpaw reached the Medicine Den, the reek of sickness sent her recoiling. She saw two warriors, a kit, and an apprentice, lapping up herbs. Hawkpaw let out a gasp as she remembered that Dashpaw was one of the sick cats.

Smokepaw truly was in her element, as she nuzzled the fluffy head of a whimpering brown speckled tom kit, urging him to drink. She glanced up as Juniperberry entered the den, and Hawkpaw saw the fear in her eyes.

"Hold up!" Dashpaw whirled around as Smokepaw placed an herb bundle at her nest. "Why do I have to eat that?!"

Juniperberry padded over to the vibrant apprentice, giving Smokepaw the opportunity to slip away and pad up to Hawkpaw. Noting the fear in her friend's gaze, Hawkpaw tried to distract her.