Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Hawkpaw pressed herself closer against the soft smoky fur of Smokepaw. Her friend was curled up in a tight ball, letting out slow inhales and exhales. Hawkpaw envied her peace of mind, especially considering her own thoughts were racing a million miles an hour.

It was almost morning of the day of the battle. In Hawkpaw's mind, these last few moments of rest were the last some of these cats would ever get. The battle was going to be brutal, and she knew it.

The Ferals always slept on an exposed piece of snowy territory, and they had to burrow into the snow to stop the cold from penetrating deep into their pelts. Hawkpaw was technically supposed to sleep in Dawnclaw's den at all times, but she had needed Smokepaw, and the rest of her friends. She had to say goodbye, and thank them for everything. So, when Dawnclaw was completely asleep, Hawkpaw had unhooked her vine leash from a bramble, and slunk out to talk.

All of the Ferals had been asleep, exhausted after a long day. Or at least, they were pretending to be asleep. Hawkpaw had the feeling that some of them were awake, but were keeping their eyes closed, trying to shut out the world.

Her gaze raked the Ferals that had gone mad over their time in captivity. They were all tossing and turning in their sleep, while large brambles pegged their leases into the ground, to stop them from going and attacking every cat in existence. Every single one of the Ferals, including Hawkpaw, were mangy, scarred and ragged. There was hardly a difference between them physically, and likely mentally too.

As Hawkpaw shifted her gaze towards the horizon, her heart skipped a beat. The sun was beginning to rise, meaning that dawn was not far off. Soon cats would be waking up. Hawkpaw saw Snowlight, gesturing to her with his tail. He had been guarding the Ferals all night, and he was telling her that her time was almost up.

"Everyone?"

Hawkpaw kept her voice low, so as not to wake up the sleeping Dominant and Trusted. Wishing that she could just leave them to sleep, but knowing that they had to go over the plan, Hawkpaw went around, prodding the Ferals. She had talked to Moonflight, Roseflight, and Snowlight on the way out, so they all knew their part in the plan.

"Oh stars, it's time ain't it?" Wave suddenly jumped to his paws, eyes wide. He bounded over to Lavender and Raccoon, standing beside them protectively.

Ezra shuffled her paws. "Stupid sun," she muttered. "It loves to show off at our own expense."

One of the Ferals who had snapped, roused, and eyed them through slitted eyes. "Master. Kill. Today," she meowed slowly. "Kill, yes."

Hawkpaw couldn't suppress a shiver as she looked into the she-cat's glittering amber eyes, and unsheathed claws. She backed away, trembling. This was what they were fighting for. They were fighting for their own freedom from this terrible world, because no one else would fight for them.

"Does everyone know the plan?" Hawkpaw meowed softly to the Ferals.

Squawk fiddled with his leash, while nodding eagerly. Icicle stared solemnly at Hawkpaw. None of the cats had ever gone to a true war, but they all knew how to fight hard for survival. Hawkpaw just hoped their plan would work.

"Remember," she meowed. "We're fighting for our freedom. Dawnclaw will only stop when every cat has a leash around their neck and is bowing to her. She won't stop until every cat acts like..." she gestured to the Ferals that were going insane "...them."

Smokepaw nodded. "We can do this. Protect one another with our strengths. Work in groups, and most importantly, find allies in the other clans to take Dawnclaw down."