Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Hawkpaw watched as all the cats moved in together, heart hammering in her chest. The first wave of stouts launched themselves at the exposed cats, separating from the wave, and jumping around sparatically.

One lodged its razor-sharp fangs in Hawkpaw's scruff. She jerked, but the little creature held on relentlessly, even as she managed to knock off a stout that was trying to clamber up her leg.

Suddenly, she felt the teeth unfasten, and watched as the creature was flung away. Turning, Hawkpaw saw Lilywave and Wave fighting back to back. It had been the AquaClan she-cat who had driven the creature away.

"Thanks!" She gasped.

Lilywave gave her a grin as she slashed at a stout. She winced as another's teeth clamped onto her right forepaw, though she managed to dislodge it. She glanced up at Hawkpaw.

"Any plans on how to get these mites out of here?" When Hawkpaw hesitated, she flexed her claws. "Don't get me wrong, it feels good to get my anger out on these things, but there are so many."

Hawkpaw nodded in agreement, but before she could say anything, Wave let out a screech and Lilywave bounded forward to slash at the throat of a large female stout. Looking around, Hawkpaw saw that all the cats around her were beginning to tire, while the stouts seemed to continue pouring in from all sides. Hawkpaw knew that they had to end this fight fast, then get to Dawnclaw.

A plan began to form in her mind, something that she hoped would work. It was a mash of ideas that came from all the different walks of life she had experienced, but she had a feeling diversity was exactly what was needed right now.

"Every cat!" Hawkpaw raised her voice above the tumult of snarls, hisses, and shrieks of pain from cat and stout alike. "I have a plan."

"What is it?" Icicle gasped. Hawkpaw noted that she was bleeding heavily from a deep bite on her shoulder. "Will I like it?"

Hawkpaw hesitated. "You might not," she admitted under her breath as the two of them worked side by side to drive back the stouts. "But I promise it will work. Just listen, and then you," looking up, she saw Mountain and Dart also listening, "you three can spread the message, okay?"

"Noted," Dart meowed sullenly.

"Sure thing!" Mountain flexed his claws in and out. "Tell it fast, though," he looked over his shoulder, and Hawkpaw saw all the Ferals beginning to lose heart and strength.

"Okay." Hawkpaw took a deep breath. "We're going to have to split up into three groups. The first will flank the stouts on the left, the second will flank them on the right, and the third group will be comprised of cats in need of immediate medical attention, and those able to help them."

"Awesome," Icicle flexed her claws.

"Then, the left and right group are going to guide the stouts away. Once that happens, you need to work together to get away from the stouts. You know, use all your special skills."

"Right!" Mountain nodded. "I've noticed that all the rogues have so many different talents, we're bound to be okay once we get the stouts safely out of here and away from the injured."

Hawkpaw nodded as she slashed at the stouts in front of her. "Dart," she meowed. "I've heard you know some stuff about medicine. Would you mind leading the group to safety?"

Dart likes to feel as though he has control over the situation. For once, the tom nodded, and Hawkpaw gestured to Stick, who was in the thick of the crowd. He was bleeding from an ear that was almost entirely torn off.