Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Everyone, settle down!"

Smokepaw's yowl rang through the clearing just as Hawkpaw collapsed to the ground in a heap. She looked up, and saw the relief in the eyes of the pacing cats' expressions as though now that she was here, everything was going to be fine. Just wait until I bring the news...

Smokepaw turned, and, seeing Hawkpaw's exhausted form, she flicked her tail at the cats that were pressing in.

"Er, Adderpaw, Snowlight and Moonflight, can you help Palepetal, Bearkit and Stormstrike to the fresh dens? Then," she flicked her tail in another direction. "The two of you could go out hunting."

Her voice quavered with great exhaustion as she spoke, yet she was trying so hard to give the sick cats a fighting change. Smokepaw's resolve gave Hawkpaw the strength to get to her paws, though she swayed heavily.

"Hawkpaw!" Smokepaw yelped. "You need to rest, those scratches..."

Her voice trailed away when she saw Hawkpaw's expression.

"Everyone, please wait," Hawkpaw limped towards Adderpaw, pain shooting through her limbs with each pawstep. "Adderpaw, I have-"

Adderpaw cut her off, voice trembling. "He did it, didn't he?" She slumped against Moonflight's back. "My littermate died, so that we could all live here today." Tears filled her eyes, and she shook them away.

"Adderpaw," Hawkpaw saw Moonflight run a paw along Adderpaw's flank, being oddly gentle and welcoming for a cat from another clan. When Adderpaw, met his expression, he shook his head, voice quivering.

"Little one, you have your mother's eyes," he stared off dazedly into the distance.

Then, Moonflight's eyes widened when he saw the dark amber feathers that were beginning to push out of Adderpaw's back. Sobbing, he pulled her in closer.

"Do you mean-" Adderpaw began faintly as she buried her muzzle in Moonflight's pelt.

"Yes, Adderpaw," Moonflight licked Adderpaw's ears tenderly. "I am your father."

Hawkpaw could only watch, paws numb and frozen in place, as Adderpaw and Moonflight slowly got to their paws, and padded into the den Icicle had prepared for the sick cats. Everyone watched solemnly as the two cats pressed against one another.

Adderpaw only turned back once, and her tear-filled gaze made Hawkpaw's heart feel as though it was splitting in two.

"Hawkpaw," she murmured. "I guess...I mean I know we can't retrieve him, but, could we hold a vigil for him tonight?"

Hawkpaw nodded, feeling stars seem to swim around her. Why are you asking me? She didn't trust herself to speak, for fear that her voice would come out slurred. The only thing keeping her standing in that moment was the idea that her friends needed her to be strong, needed her to fight.

As the last of the cats made their way into the den Icicle had prepared, Hawkpaw began to feel herself sinking down. Though, she sat bolt upright, her gaze alert, when she heard an awkward cough from a cat beside her.

"Hey, so your name's Hawkpaw now? That's pretty...cool."

Hawkpaw whirled around, and felt her jaw drop to the ground. Her eyes widened as she saw a cat that she thought she would never have ever seen again after she found the feathers in her family's cave. As she stared at him, she realised why she hadn't recognised him at first; he was more scarred than when she had last seen him. Not to mention he was older, but he didn't seem to stand as tall...