Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Hawk's heart raced in her chest as the clan cats began to move away. Apparently, they were going out hunting and patrolling boundaries. She watched in awe filled terror as three cats bunched their muscles and sprang up into a leap. Then, they threw up their wings, and wheeled away into the sky.

Even more strange, though, these weird winged cats all went out together in close groups. Hawk was always used to going hunting alone, so it was strange to see these winged cats all spending so much time together.

"Duskfang!" Hawk jumped as she saw the pale grey she-cat who had rebuked her at the gathering of cats suddenly bounded up to stand beside her. She faced Duskfang, hardly batting an eye at Hawk. "Are we going hunting?"

Duskfang glanced down at Hawk before eyeing Icepaw again. "No," he meowed at length. "You will help settle this cat in." When Icepaw opened her jaws to protest, Duskfang eyed her coldly. "Respect me," he growled. "The other apprentices also won't be training, so they will help. Show Hawk our ways."

Icepaw looked crestfallen as she eyed Duskfang, and Hawk felt a glimmer of pity for the young cat. Then, Icepaw whirled around to face Hawk through narrowed eyes. When Hawk saw her expression and fluffed up fur, all thoughts of pitying her vanished entirely.

Hawk watched as Duskfang leaped into the sky, and took off. Each stroke of the powerful feathered wings on his back led him farther and farther away from Hawk.

"Come with me, rogue," Icepaw meowed huffily.

Hawk opened her jaws to speak, but just when she did, Icepaw fanned her magnificent bright amber wings. Hawk choked as feathers surrounded her.

"Are you even coming?" Icepaw meowed. "Or are rogues as slow in the body as they are in the head?"

Hawk didn't react. She wouldn't give this entitled cat the pleasure of seeing her upset. After all, it had been funny to see the look of helpless fury when she'd politely responded to Dawnclaw's harsh remarks.

"Lead on," Hawk responded icily. "You shouldn't worry about me. After all, I've got plenty of scars, and you only get those from..." she let her voice trailed away when she saw a group of young cats, all with wings.

Icepaw bounded toward them, and began speaking to them in short whispers. While she was doing that, Hawk glanced around to see if there was any exit.

The camp was exposed to the open sky, but that was useless unless a cat had wings. The den wasn't enclosed, but Hawk got the keen feeling that Duskfang had left cats in the camp that were ordered to keep an eye on her.

Great. Now how will I talk to Adder? Hawk worried with each passing second what her mother was thinking. She shook her pelt, dislodging bits of snow in it. She couldn't worry about that right now. Looking down at the bandages wrapped around her paw and side, Hawk knew that these cats had helped her, perhaps even saved her.

"Seriously?!"

Hawk jumped when she heard Icepaw's sharp retort. She whirled around to face Icepaw and the circle of young cats that sat beside her. They were all still speaking in low-voiced murmurs, but Icepaw's voice was rising.

Taking the initiative, Hawk bounded right up to their little posse and opened her jaws to speak.

"Hey everyone."

All the cats jumped when they saw her, but none of them backed away. Clearly gaining strength from one another, they watched her warily. Hawk flicked her tail.

Icepaw was the first one to speak. "See," she meowed frostily. "The rogue's super rude. I don't think I should be the one sharing a nest with her."