Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Hawkpaw came-to just moments after the fall. Everything hurt, from her paws to the tips of her ears, but she knew instinctively that she had to get up. She could hear the growls and snarls of cats right above her. Dazedly, she opened her eyes.

"It's her. That rogue, she destroyed us."

"M-mom? Why do I feel all weird and small?"

"Wait, hold on! That...thing she's awake."

Hawkpaw's heart lurched as a pale brown AquaClan cat prodded her in the chest. She stared around, realising for the first time what had truly just happened. CometClan cats lay on the ground, gasping and trembling in their new stubbier and shorter forms. AquaClan cats shivered against the cold with their thinner pelts. FalconClan cats stumbled from side to side, caught off balance without their wings. One thing was unanimous, though. Their fear and confusion.

Then, Hawkpaw saw Smokepaw. Her best friend lay motionless, her back leg horrendously twisted, her eyes closed. As Hawkpaw stumbled to her paws, the other cats gave her a wide berth. She was within a tail length of her fallen friend when Coalfang pushed himself in front of her.

"You need to leave," he snarled. "Get out, and don't come back."

He swiped at her with unsheathed claws, and Hawkpaw had to stumble back to avoid them slashing at her throat. Along with her lost wings, she had also lost the vine leash, for it was also a 'gift' from the Great Mother.

"Didn't you hear me, you hideous Feral?!" Coalfang screeched. "Get out of here and leave us alone! You're a hideous disgrace."

Hawkpaw took one paw backwards, the world seeming to swirl around her. All the cats' faces blurred together, and she was certain of only one thing; she wasn't wanted. Still on trembling paws, Hawkpaw bunched her muscles, and narrowed her eyes for a gap in the crowding mass of injured cats.

As soon as Hawkpaw saw a gap between the AquaClan and CometClan warriors, she sprinted towards it. Everything felt so unreal. She wouldn't believe that her own paws were moving over the snowy terrain if not for the fact that she could see them.

"Hawkpaw wait!"

Somewhere in the distance, Hawkpaw heard Icicle's raised voice. She didn't stop moving. She couldn't stop moving. If she did, it would force her to remember all that she'd seen. All that she'd done.

Hawkpaw's breath soon grew ragged, and she had to slow, still angry at her own weakness. Around her, the world was still shifting and moving, as though she was swimming through a soupy liquid. It was all she could do to force her paws to keep moving steadily up a sharp incline.

Thoughts still racing, a plan began to form in Hawkpaw's mind. She had to put all of the wrongs right. Great Mother had been able to make a sacrifice to create the powers of the clan cats. Maybe if Hawkpaw reached the Starlight Pool she'd be able to do the same. After all, they didn't take kindly to my suggestions for change and equality. I must have been wrong.

Hawkpaw felt guilt crawl into her from all sides. She hadn't done enough to help the Ferals. She'd hurt so many cats during that battle. But the thing that made her the most desolate was the image of Smokepaw's limp frame. I really messed up. I don't know what she ever saw in a cat like me...

Soon enough, Hawkpaw found herself in familiar territory. Panting, she slowed as she reached the den where she had spent most of her early life. It was empty now, devoid of any spark of life. For a heartbeat, Hawkpaw slowed to a halt, and stared at the den, while memories flowed over her in waves.