Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The moment Hawkpaw came to, she was instantly aware of a figure looming above her, scrutinising her. Her heart began to pound wildly in her chest, like its very own uncontrollable beast, as she remembered what had just happened, and where Coalpaw and his allies had planned to take her.

When her heart felt as though it would break out of her chest entirely, Hawkpaw heard a calm, dismissive voice.

"Hello, darling. Why don't you open your eyes? You reek of fear, my poor pet..."

Hawkpaw curled her claws into the nest that the cats must have placed her in. It felt as though there was moss woven around a circle of thorns. Sure enough, as Hawkpaw blinked open her eyes in the dusky light, she saw thorns circling the nest. Then, she raised her gaze, and her heart stopped entirely.

Sure, she had expected that the cream tabby would be there, but her time in CometClan and her desperation to push the image of the she-cat out of her mind had almost made Hawkpaw feel as though her worst nightmare didn't exist.

Dawnclaw.

Dawnclaw licked a paw and ran it casually over her ear. She stared at Hawkpaw, scrutinising her. Then, Hawkpaw spoke up.

"You think you can keep me here, Dawnclaw?!" She spat as she stared at the circle of thorns around her, barely as thick and high as her paw. "Think again!"

Dawnclaw let out a huff of air that sounded like a chuckle, and muttered something incoherent under her breath. When she stared at Hawkpaw once more, her eyes had a dangerous look in them. A look that told Hawkpaw that Dawnclaw knew she had power, and wasn't afraid to use it.

Still settled on the ground of the Medicine Den, Dawnclaw sighed. "I knew Nightstar would try to ruin you. She's too playful, doesn't get straight to the point." Then, her eyes narrowed. "Well, don't worry, pet. I'll straighten you out."

As Hawkpaw opened her jaws to speak, Dawnclaw butted in almost casually. "And, of course, your friends are entirely surrounded. It's easy enough for me to order any of my warriors to kill them, if you like."

She posed it almost as though it was a question. As though she was testing Hawkpaw. She averted her gaze, heart still pounding wildly. What was wrong with her? Dawnclaw was just a cat. And Hawkpaw had just killed an evil deputy and led a rebellion. So why was she so scared and submissive?

"W-where are your allies? And you can't be leader, I b-bet no cat in this clan calls you Da-Dawnstar," Hawkpaw tried to sound confident, but her voice faltered.

Dawnclaw twitched her ears towards the entrance to the FalconClan Medicine Den, where thick vines blocked the entrance to the den. Hawkpaw supposed she couldn't be surprised that Dawnclaw had raided the CometClan cave system. The vines completely blocked the light, meaning that the only light coming into the cave were from eerily bright, glowing mushrooms.

Dawnclaw padded closer to Hawkpaw, so that they were almost nose to nose. One more step and Dawnclaw would be in the brambles.

"To answer your first query, little rogue," Dawnclaw chuckled as she spoke. "Let's just say I wanted to have a private conversation with you. They're all outside, but they don't need to hear what I'm about to say. Now as for being leader..."

With a sudden jerk, Dawnclaw grabbed the vine that was connected to Hawkpaw's leash, pulling her paw through the loop. Hawkpaw stumbled out of the nest, narrowly avoiding the thorns.

"What was that for?!" Hawkpaw practically snarled.

Dawnclaw stared at her coldly, unravelling the leash from her paw. "Your chin was drooping. Nightstar truly nearly destroyed your potential." Then, her eyes flashed to the exit of her den. "I never told you my name didn't end in star," she put in smugly. "But yes, a name such as 'Dawnstar' is definitely below me. That is why, as leader of FalconClan, all cats address me as Great Master."