Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"So what is this gathering thing again?"

Hawkpaw stared ahead in bewilderment as cats filed out of FalconClan camp in a tight line. Smokepaw was beside her, watching the procession excitedly. Her tail lashed to and fro in eager anticipation.

"It's the time when we get to meet the other clans!" she exclaimed brightly.

Smokepaw got in the neat line of FalconClan warriors between her mentor Dawnclaw. Awkwardly, Hawkpaw pushed in front of Stormswirl, desperate for more explanation from her smoky-furred friend.

"Do you mean the same clans that are trying to kill us?" Hawkpaw meowed, walking briskly to stay in line with the procession of cats. "The same ones that literally attacked us on our way to the Starlight Pool?"

Smokepaw glanced back at her sheepishly. "Uh, yeah..." she meowed. "Sounds not so fun when you put it that way." Then her voice brightened. "But there are so many cool cats with tons of epic stories. And there are plenty of young cats our age!"

"Quiet in the back!"

Duskfang's brisk meow made Hawkpaw snap her jaws shut. Smokepaw glanced back over her shoulder once more, an apologetic expression on her face. The clan deputy certainly sounded very tense.

Hawkpaw felt tension radiating off almost all of the cats as they made their way slowly through the snow covered landscape. Duskfang's decision to call off all conversation had been a smart one; tensions were less likely to escalate that way.

Hawkpaw wondered where she was going as she followed behind Smokepaw. Froswtwing hadn't told her all that much about FalconClan territory besides a few significant areas.

Just as Hawkpaw was beginning to shiver from cold and exhaustion, the procession suddenly came to a stop. Hawkpaw nearly padded right into Dawnclaw. The Medicine Cat didn't react, staring calmly ahead.

"All right every cat, it's time for the gathering!" Talonstar's yowl made Hawkpaw's ears ring. "Now is the time to watch our enemies, and view their weaknesses."

At that, Talonstar lifted off into the sky. All the other cats did the same, massive wingbeats buffeting snow into Hawkpaw's face. Narrowing her eyes, she too leaped after them, spreading her bright blue wings.

"I'll help you say up," Hawkpaw glanced up to see Smokepaw offering her a forepaw. She grinned. "Now you'll be more than just a dead weight, so this should work!"

Hawkpaw gripped Smokepaw's forepaw, pumping her wings as hard as she could. Gradually, she felt herself lifting up, and realised that her wings were pumping up on their own. Hawkpaw let go of Smokepaw's hand and she grinned.

"You're a natural!"

Hawkpaw blinked happily as she flew upwards, wings propelling her up to where the other FalconClan warriors glided; waiting for her. She hadn't told any cat, but right after her first day out, Hawkpaw had continued trying-and failing- to fly again and again. Some of that effort had finally paid off.

When Hawkpaw reached the airborne location of the other FalconClan cats, she spread out her wings in a more streamlined position. To her surprise, they let her glide through the air, without the mad pumping she had done to get up there.

Smokepaw was beside her once more.

Suddenly, the cats curved their wings, narrowed their eyes, and began swooping down. Bewildered, Hawkpaw turned to Smokepaw who was about to make the same descent.

"Wh-what are we doing?!" She asked. "Why did we fly up just to go down?"

Smokepaw blinked. "Well," she meowed. "Usually we just fly all the way to the gathering, but I guess Talonstar didn't think you could do that." When Hawkpaw's expression still showed that she didn't understand fully, Smokepaw went on. "FlaconClan cats swoop in, CometClan cats sprint in, and AquaClan cats swim in."