Chapter 15

Chapter 15

StarClan, just open your eyes!

Hawkpaw's heart was pounding in her chest as she surveyed Icepaw's trembling form. She was burning up, even though Hawkpaw had put snow around her nest. Agony was written all across her flank as she writhed in the Medicine Den.

"You should just let her go," Dawnclaw grunted to Hawkpaw from where she lay, eyes narrowed to slits. "That's what her parents want anyway."

Hawkpaw glared at the Medicine Cat, but Dawnclaw was already rising to her paws. None of the FalconClan cats had gotten any sleep in the two days since the battle, working tirelessly to hunt and heal their injured.

Dawnclaw and Smokepaw in particular had rarely gotten any sleep at all. Hawkpaw knew because she too had stayed awake for almost the entirety of the past couple days, desperately trying to help Icepaw. All the rest of the cats had given up on the young white she-cat, choosing instead to treat those whose injuries were less deadly.

"It's not like she's going to be of any use to FalconClan in that state anyway," Dawnclaw muttered as she slunk out of the Medicine Den.

Hawkpaw sighed as she turned back to Icepaw. If even the ever serene and composed Dawnclaw was beginning to lose her cool, it was a clear sign that things were going terribly wrong in FalconClan.

"Don't listen to her."

Hawkpaw shifted her expression to where Coalpaw's mentor, Moonflight gazed at her kindly. He was one of the few cats in the tight Medicine Den, Dawnclaw wanting to keep an eye on his dislocated shoulder and other heavy injuries.

"What did you say?" Hawkpaw turned back to Icepaw and began dribbling some wet moss she had soaked into the apprentice's lips. You need water.

A rueful chuckle sounded from where Moonflight lay. "It's amazing how much time you've put into healing Icepaw, when everycat's given up," he meowed sadly. "And yet they always will judge you for where you come from, even though you have the truest heart of all of them."

That's not true. Hawkpaw thought of the times she had envisioned sinking her claws into Frostwing, the wild rage that came when those she loved were injured, and how she had abandoned Blaze in his time of need.

"You hardly know me, Moonflight."

Hawkpaw's heart sank when Icepaw didn't even work up the energy to bat away the wet moss she was using to clean the white she-cat's wounds. Hawkpaw had worked tirelessly to clean all the blood from them, and wrap her wounds up with cobwebs and poultices Smokepaw had given her.

Moonflight was silent for several heartbeats, and Hawkpaw thought he had finally dozed off again, when the good-natured cat spoke up again.

"I've seen the world beyond FalconClan," he meowed softly. "Seen the love and compassion that exists in many beyond our borders."

"And your point?" Hawkpaw whirled around to face the cat, exasperated.

Moonflight deflated visibly. "I fell in love with a CometClan cat," he meowed. "And ever since then I've been a bit of a loner here. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all your doing. FalconClan needs more warrior cats like you, Hawkpaw."

Hawkpaw was silent for several heartbeats, thinking about what Moonflight said.

"Thanks," she meowed at length, feeling genuine.

There was a slight snoring sound from Moonflight. Hawkpaw sighed. At least he was able to sleep. Hawkpaw wasn't sure she would ever sleep again.

She padded over to Icepaw, and began gently grooming the raw patches of the she-cat's fur. She made sure to avoid the cracked wings as she worked her way around the she-cat.