Chapter 2 - Karok War

Rathamin had always known this day would come, answering to his father somewhere on the front lines of this bloody battle. He stood stiff and ready for inspection as the battle commanders approached. Not daring to look at his father and other senior officers behind him. Rathamin stood like a statue and looking like a great Gargoyle on a high wall of one of the shines in the village. His battalion beside him ready for what should prove the one final battle against the Karok. The Karok war had already gone on too long according to his father.

With an approving roar his father looked over the battalion and finally to Rathamin, no evidence of recognition across his fathers face as he looked over Rathamin, as a good commander would and should do Rathamin thought, his father looked at several soldiers around him then at him in turn, with a sneer he finally snorted "What makes you think ANY of you snargs belong among these ranks? In one voice the soldiers yelled back, "we give you our lives to end the Ork threat and return our great people to victory and harmony. Commander Forvo growled back, Then you show your worthiness and protect the society and I will return your lives he said with a yell to finish. the battallion growled a battle roar in unison and stood tall. We Advance at sunrise he growled, dismissed. the great mass of Gragonian and Wolive soldiers dispersed to enjoy some quiet before rest time. 

Rathamin sat on a log in front of the fire he made with both excitement and anxiety knowing what comes next. Forvo dismissed his lieutenants and made his way to the fire, Forvo removed his sword belt and stood over Rathamin, the younger of the two looked up at his father and took in his fathers features. His father still looked both menacing and larger than life, but the eyes of a son also took in his father's other tells, his eyes showing how tired of war and death he truly had become. He still had his black and grey scales looking pristine but the scales scarred from battle. Without a word, Rathamin handed his father a rust colored cup, and Forvo sat with a sigh,  he holds his goblet to his son, "May the god of Faugue protect your house and bring honour and victory to your sword', and with a brief smile he finished "and good women to your bed" Farvo laughed out loud and the two banged the goblets together and Farvo drank the contents in one gulp. Rathamin drank slower and refilled his elders goblet again and they sat in silence for a minute. 

Rathamin looked at his father's face, his eyes. He saw the pain and weariness in his father,  he never should have been a soldier, As the head of the Sacred Council to Uncle Kapor, his ability with the leadership, his way with the people and his ability to strategize the battleplans made him the perfect man to step up as General for the fight, even though it took him away from the Clan council and his duties as Uncle Kapor's right hand man. Four cycles of this fight made him invaluable to the Dragonian people and a hero several times and it was said in the council that the only reason we got this far was because of the courage, sacrifice and charisma of this Dragon. 

But The son saw something else in his father, pain, loss, betrayal, one might say even a part of himself. Something he felt he had lost himself in this terrible war. A spark, a light? Part of his soul? Rathamin thought for a moment and assumed it was part of his youth and innocence. 

"So", Rathamin finally said looking at his goblet, "It sounds like this should be it? the end?" Farvo grunted and finally said, It needs to be, Farvo shook the goblet to let the contents sway inside, were all to tired and to wired and finally all, in to allow the Karok to escape this valley and regroup. Rathamin picked at his cup, you know we, lost a lot in Gravis, our finest blood as it were he said. I know sighed Farvo, but it allowed this to finally happen. Gravis took out their second third and fifth wave of troops, not to mention their air division capabilities. Honestly this couldn't have happened with out that victory. You and the cavaliers made this possible. That wont be forgotten. With a snort Rathamin looked at Farvo, without you and Cava destroying their stronghold in the Mara pass we couldn't be here. luck and good planning Farvo said with a gasp and finished the goblet again. With a belch Farvo said, according to your uncle Kapor their numbers should be light, so we could be home by fall. I hope so Rathamin said as he filled their goblets again. Rathamin finished cooking the lizards and handed his father one, the two sat in silence. Finally Farvo said, "this war should have ended two years ago, he mumbled looking like he was talking to his BBQ lizard. "Why has it taken so long" Rathamin slurped on a leg.