Chapter 19 - The hand of Man

As the group travelled into the late part of the day, they travelled beyond the old fortress and climbed the hill on the east side they came across a town and just beyond that they saw a lighthouse reaching above the town on an island just off the shore. Rathamin looked to the sides between and saw nothing in the distance to either side.

Emily spoke first, "Ah civilization" she said with a sigh.

"I could use a shower" Speron agreed.

"I think we should keep moving, Rathamin interjected.

I smell some grill Poray! Cal said ignoring the Dragonians advice

I'm so hungry, I'll bet its good Poray from those waters, Adnaan also said ignoring Rathamin.

the group began to walk away from Rathamin, Speron and Emily talking about some pretty smelling body syrup and Cal and Adnaan talking about grilled fish, leaving Rathamin standing there alone, Rathamin slid his axe in his pack and said to himself with a sigh, "I could eat."

A short while later, the group had got into town, Rathamin found the sleep lodge and got a couple rooms, when he showed his family crest, the desk clerk looked at it and smiled "Ah Master Rathamin, I have a message here from your Uncle Kapor.

Rathamin took the crystalline data disk and read the message. Hey Rathamin, I hope your having the time of your life and accepting the reality of the situation. Once this is over you'll understand better the complexities of life and why things happen the way that they do. Your family misses you very much, however we realize you'll have a new found understanding about life and the Dragonian culture. Please be careful and come back safe. First Minister Kapor.

Warm and welcoming as ever Rathamin thought to himself, then something occurred to him and he turned back to the clerk of the desk, "Excuse me? How did my Uncle know we'd be here"? Rathamin asked.

"The clerk said with a sideways smile, "I'm not sure exactly but quite likely the Basso priests would keep them apprised of your progress.

Rathamin considered that a second, deciding not to pursue the conversation further, he nodded with a fake smile to the clerk and took the door Krystals. He returned to his friends and handed Emily the other room Krystal.

"So you and Speron take the one room, we'll get cleaned up in the other one" he said as he motioned to Adnaan. Then lets get together for evening meal?"

Speron sighed "I'm not sure what sounds better, a shower or a meal" she said and put her arm around Emily. "Let's find out" she smiled as the two of them walked away.

Rathamin exchanged glances with Adnaan and Cal as they went the opposite way to their room.

A short while later Speron was enjoying the fresh clean water as it sprayed down her back and between her wings, she tried to spread her majestic wings in the cramped space of the sonic heated shower, trickles making her senses heighten, as she closed her eyes, she saw her mother, her home, her life, her family. She recalled why she was here, The Basso, their insistence that the Dragonians not find the artifact, the shift in the balance of, of what, power? That didn't make sense if what Rathamin said was true.

She realized where her mind was taking her, but why, why now, random considering where her mind had wandered just a moment ago. She returned her mind to the present, to the water, she found a towel and began to dry herself. The mission, the mission must be won by her. Only the Falc's can protect our way of life she thought to herself. But did she think that, believe that?