vingt-six.

"Oh God, we hope not. Any case Nicki's on has somebody who needs a hail mary to beat a life sentence."

Valerie was clearly trying to make a joke when she said this, but just the utterance of the chance of a life sentence when it concerned Ramses made Milan's stomach turn.

Quickly reading Milan's vacant expression, Valerie awkwardly laughed and ran her fingers through the ends of her hair nervously. "I mean, Nicki is a very good lawyer. I wouldn't worry too much about your friend because she's going to give it her all."

"I hope so... I really care about the man she's representing. He saved my brother's life and I don't think I could forgive myself if he went to jail—"

"Did you commit the murders with him?" Valerie quickly butt in, her tone expectant.

Milan was caught off guard by the question. Her brow furrowed in immediate defense.
"No! Why would you ask that?"

Shrugging Valerie glanced at Milan quickly before looking back down at her phone screen.

"As soon as you said you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself because he went to jail for something he did... I immediately guessed you must have killed people with him for you to feel guilty. You haven't, so you shouldn't. You're doing everything you can to help him." Valerie explained her thinking clearly and Milan was slightly stumped.

"But he's my... friend and I—"

"You are taking the stand for him. You are being a superb friend." Valerie stated in a no nonsense tone.

This time she put her phone down and speared Milan with a look that felt very much like a stern older sister.

Valerie then softened her look by offering Milan an understanding smile. Taking a deep breath, Milan returned the smile fully.

"Well anyway," Valerie changed the subject, "I don't want to go to Nicki's right now. I want to go shopping, and I want you to come with me. You need court clothes." She insisted.

"I... I don't think I can miss the appointment I have with Nicki. It's very importa—"

"Oh miss girl, Nicki will understand. She owes me, believe me." Valerie interrupted, not listening to another word from Milan as she tapped the partition window of the car.

The thin wall rolled down and Valerie began to give the driver new directions. In the next couple of minutes, the car was now making a U-turn and going in a different direction. Valerie sat back with a smug smile on her face.

"So... where are we going now?" Milan asked, weirdly excited, but if this Valerie lady fucked up her chances with getting Ramses's out of jail she knew she just might have to beat her ass.

Valerie had taken out her phone and begun typing something, looking up from her screen when Milan addressed her. "We're going downtown, love. I heard you all's skyline is to die for, and being from New York— I'll be the judge of that."

In true loyal Chicagoan fashion, Milan rolled her eyes.

"Baby ain't nothing like my city. I hope you judge correctly!"

The two women laughed softly at their faux rivalry.

As they rode in the car, Milan and Valerie exchanged stories of their experiences growing up in big cities. She learned Valerie's life was very similar to hers at the beginning. Two parent household, dreamt of college to provide and make a difference, and lived on her own early as well.

Digesting how much they were alike also made a heavy, bitter feeling settle in her stomach.

It caused Milan to wonder just what could've been if her parents hadn't been taken from her, derailing her childhood.