epilogue

"Mi, your phone ringing off the hook..."

Daya, who was currently helping Milan straighten her 40 inch dark crimson unit, told Milan. 

Milan had her hands full with a hot comb at the current moment. When she glanced over to the side of the bathroom counter her phone was on, she did see her screen lighting up, and by the number of pink hearts by the name... she already knew who was calling.

"Girl, that man been calling me all day just asking crazy shit." Milan slightly shook her head, but the heat on her forehead reminded her that it was best she stayed still as she laid the hot tool on her roots. Her tone caused Daya to laugh.

"Crazy shit like what, girl?" 

Laughing softly still herself, Milan snickered as she spoke. "Like what time do I think I'll be walking the stage and if its open seating. Mans was transported upstate to Wisconsin, I don't know why he worried about shit in fuckin' ATL." 

"When it comes to you, when has that man's head ever been on straight?" Daya responded easily, and Milan had to admit her friend had a point. Milan felt so blessed to have someone like Ramses, he truly could ask all the crazy questions he wanted.

This was his day just as much as hers. He had paid every year's tuition and school fee just as he said he would.

Over the last five years, Milan was able to complete her social work degree. A year later than expected because starting school again really took her for a loop, but she was finishing none-the-less. Magna cum laude at that!

And Ramses could not have been prouder of her. He had two years added to his sentence for "incitement of gang activity and violence", so Milan sadly did not expect him to be in attendance today. The man could never not be at the forefront of some bullshit.

However, he had sent a bouquet of flowers to her apartment for a whole week leading up to this big day, Milan could not turn 360 degrees without being reminded of his love for her.

 But, now as she prepared to walk across the stage just as she dreamed, she couldn't help but wish he was here to celebrate the day with her. Noticing Milan's souring mood, Daya immediately turned their background music up as it was playing from her phone.

The bass drop of Nicki Minaj's "I Endorse These Strippers" breathed life into Milan's spirit.

You only graduate undergrad one time, and she'd be damned if she let a gray cloud cross her sky today. Today was her day.

***

When she was done primping and Daya had her turn in the beauty seat, Milan and Daya both went downstairs from her apartment building to meet Valerie and Nicoletta in their own car. They all planned to ride together to the ceremony. Milan couldn't have been more grateful for the small community of women she had, without them, she wouldn't have made it.

It was Nicoletta who kept her off the ledge when she realized she wasn't going to graduate in 4 years like the majority of people do. Nicki was very free with her story of how she was a less than savory person before Valerie helped her get on her feet.

"The only one who is rushing is you. This is your journey."

These are the words Nicoletta always made Milan repeat when they were finishing an anxiety ridden phone call.

Valerie was always on speed dial as well, but she was now 7 months pregnant with her third child. Milan tried not to disturb the very round mom-to-be. She already had a set of twins and a very loving husband that always looked like he could eat her with a spoon.