Chapter 1: We promised

The sun hid behind the clouds like a shy child hiding behind his mother, as we strolled around the park, a comfortable silence surrounding us. His knuckles accidentally brushed mine and he blushed more than I did.

"Sorry."

I always wondered how someone as tough as him could be this cute. After a few occasional touches, I understood he wouldn't grab my hand so I reached for his when suddenly the sky opened up and pails of water rained down on us. Gone was the hesitation, he immediately grabbed my hand, knowing very well I would rather stay in the rain.

"Come on Belle! We gotta be quick."

In our rush I nearly slipped in the mud but he held me up. Sighing, he picked me up bridal style. I yelped.

"What are you doing??"

"Making sure you're clumsy self remains in one piece. Sara will kill me if there is as much as a scratch on you."

He rushed towards the nearest building leading us to safety. Once inside I glanced at our drenched attires and looked back outside pressing my hand to the window, watching the rain longingly.

"No Belle. You know Sara will scold you."

"But we are already drenched. It won't change much."

"You'll land us both in trouble!"

"Pretty please," I asked, looking at him pleadingly.

"Puppy eyes won't work on me."

"Fine!" I huffed. "I'll go by myself."

I ran out of the building before he could stop me. I immediately relished the feeling of the drops of rain hitting my face. It made me feel cleansed of all sorrow. I closed my eyes basking in this feeling when I heard a loud honk followed by a scream.

"BELLE!"

I didn't have time to react before my wrist was grabbed and I was tugged forward, landing on someone just as a car zoomed past us. I looked back at the speeding car and sighed in relief.

"Belle, you're not as light as a feather. Get off."

I immediately shot up, helping him to get up. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay? Are you hurt? Can you walk?"

"Belle!"

"God, I'm so stupid. You could have gotten hurt."

"Bella!"

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Isabella?"

"What?" I asked, snapping out of my rant.

"Calm down. I'm fine. I should be the one fussing over you. You almost got killed. I clearly told you to stay inside. What if I wasn't there? What then?"

I gave him a knowing smile.

"That's the thing. I knew you would save me. We always have each other's back, remember? We promised."

~~~~~~~

"Splash!"

I was drenched from head to toe as I stepped right into a puddle of muddy water. I no longer cared about my outfit. After being splashed by a speeding car while running on the slippery pavement nearly breaking a few limbs, I don't think it could get worse. I finally reached the building of my interview. Wow, it really didn't. I really thought I had jinxed.

Finally in the safety of the building, I looked at the heavy downpour outside, the memories still dancing in my mind.

"Why is it that I can't forget him? Why does he have to haunt me like a shadow?" I sighed.

Any other day I would have loved this rainy atmosphere and even danced to my will but this was a golden opportunity for me. You really chose the wrong time to cry, dear sky. I assessed my outfit and sighed dejectedly. There goes my perfect first impression. They were drenched and clung to my skin like a second skin. Fortunately, my shirt was not white. It would not have been a pretty sight.

I walked to the receptionist's desk and smiled brightly at the young girl sitting behind the desk.

"Hi! I'm Isabella Anderson. I have an interview with Matthew Stevens."

"Hi! Yes, he's expecting you. Third floor. Fourth door to your right."

"Thanks! Have a great day!"

"Thanks. Same to you."

I flashed her a smile before walking to the elevator. Pressing the button to the third floor, I felt the nerves bubbling up. I've been looking for a music producer for so long and now that I finally managed to get an interview with one, I don't want to mess up. I'm supposed to sing a few of the songs I've composed and written. if he likes all of them then we'll work on releasing my first song. If not then I'll have to write songs according to his choice which I have no interest in so basically I lose this deal. I really hope it goes well. I've been in a slump lately and I'm hoping this renews my motivation to write.

As the elevator dinged signalling my arrival at the third floor, I took a deep breath in. Let's do this. I walked confidently to the fourth door and knocked twice before stepping back. Just then my phone started buzzing.

"Shoot! I forgot I had to put this in silent mode. Might as well do it now."

I grabbed my phone from my pocket but the number on the screen had me intrigued. That's Alex's area's telephone code. I should probably pick it up, knowing him he probably lost his phone again.

"Hello?"

"Is this Isabella Anderson?"

"Yes. Who am I talking to, please?"

The door opened and I smiled at the man. I was about to ask him to give me a minute but my heart thudded when I heard the caller's next words.

"I'm calling from My Care Hospital. I'm sorry to inform you that your brother had a car accident. Please come here as soon as possible. He is in critical condition."

My heart dropped as did my phone.

"Miss, are you okay?"

"I'm sorry. I have to go."