Chapter 5: White Promise

I sieved through the huge pile of papers scattered on my table.

"I just saw it!"

As I turned around to look in the other corner my elbow hit the pile of books on the side sending it toppling down with a big bang.

"Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!"

I run my fingers through my hair wanting to rip it out in frustration. I tried to remove it but my fingers were tangled and wouldn't budge.

"You okay Isa? I heard a loud noise."

"I'm perfectly fine."

I replied through gritted teeth while still struggling to get my fingers out of the tangled mess which is my hair.

"Here let me help."

He stilled my hands.

"Why don't you calm down and sit on the bed. I'll take care of this."

I took deep breaths in and finally cooled down. I let Alex slowly drag me to the bed and make me sit. He sat behind me and started untangling the strands one by one.

"Why all the mess?"

"I was trying to find a paper but I accidentally knocked the pile of books down."

"And this?" he asked pulling on my hair.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry."

All I wanted to do was hit him back but I couldn't because my hands were still being freed.

"So? Why is my sister, the neat freak's, room in such a state?"

I looked around the room and I realised just how messy it was. Papers were scattered across the floor, my clothes were all around the basket it was supposed to be in, my drawers were half closed with the amount of unfolded clothes in them, and my bags were all wide open with my stationary ready to fall out. Just then a copybook lost balance and dropped down dragging the whole bag with it. Exhausted I leaned back against Alex.

"I'm so tired. These exams are making me go crazy and then there's the extra shifts at work with all these customers who think they are so much better than everybody else. I barely have time for anything else. On top of that, I have this pounding headache constantly."

"Why don't you take a few days off? You know Anna won't mind. Take a break. Rest and take care of yourself for some time. Then when you feel better, you come back stronger. Your exams are also almost over. You'll have more time."

I exhaled. I really do need a break. From everything.

"There all done!"

"Huh?"

"Your hands are no longer hostage of your hair."

I tried moving them and I was able to. I exhaled in relief.

"Thanks A."

"Anytime Ise."

"Now why don't you go take a shower and I'll try to see what I can help you with to get your room to its usual pristine state. I can even comb your hair when you get out. It's been so long since I last did that."

"I'm seventeen."

"Your point?"

"Fine," I replied knowing I would not win this argument.