Chapter 8: Dangerous Promise

A/N: Double update but I'm not really satisfied with this chapter I might rewrite it in the future. It's mostly a filler. I hope you still enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gray had left with his new family but he promised to let me know as soon as he reached his new home. So I waited. I waited for days by my phone. Then I thought maybe he lost my number so I waited by the orphanage's landline. Then I thought maybe he did not know that number either. So I checked the mailbox daily. Days turned to weeks. Weeks turned to months. Months to a year but I never gave up. I kept waiting. Maybe someday, somehow we would meet again. After all our love was invincible. No matter the distance we were connected or so I thought.

All it took was one random tabloid I noticed while walking to school to take away all my hope.

"Has the business world found its new ruler?"

Those were the headlines and underneath it was the picture of Grayson. He looked more mature and composed. He was dressed in a classy suit looking rich. Maybe that was the reason he did not want to talk to me. I was of too low status compared to him now. I soon got rid of those thoughts though. That was not my Grayson. I'm sure he's simply making sure his future is secured before he gets back in contact with me.

A harsh wind caused the page to turn and my face drained of all colour.

"New heir to one of the biggest businesses dating, rising star, Siara Clark?

The future CEO was spotted together with the beautiful model walking on a sidewalk deep in conversation."

Grayson was smiling bright, his dimples clearly visible. Does this mean he forgot about me? What was I even thinking? He has a completely different life now. why would he settle for ridiculous me?

When the Andersons adopted me I made a new start. A new life. I was no longer Belle or Bella. I was Ise or Isa. I was no longer a hopeless romantic, I started writing heartbreak songs. Alex helped me a lot with accepting this new me. We grew close super quickly. We bantered. A lot! But we got along well and we knew we could rely on each other.

~~~~~~~

Now today, I had to make sure Alex could rely on me. Yet here I was, immobile staring at my childhood sweetheart. I didn't know how to react.

"Belle?"

His voice snapped me back to reality. No! No! No! NO! This is not happening! Not now!

I backed away slowly with a terrified expression and his face scrunched up in worry.

"Belle, please hear me out. I know it's not the best timing but I just wanted to meet you and explain myself."

I could hear him but none of his words registered in my mind. All I could think about was his promises. His unfulfilled promises.

When the door opened, I jolted out of my trance.

"Good morning Sir and you must be Miss Isabella. I'm Andrew. Pleasure to meet you."

"Good morning. Yes. Pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Andrew."

"Oh please call me Andrew. I've heard so much from your brother I feel like I know you already. I hope he is getting better."

"Oh, I didn't know he talked about me."

I voluntarily ignored the mention of Alex's health or now. I needed to concentrate on not breaking down right here and now.

"Oh he sure does."

I smiled in response.

"We should probably get started."

"Yes. Please."

I launched into my presentation trying my best not to stutter. I tried to hide how affected  I was by Grayson's presence. I assumed he was the CEO since Andrew addressed him as sir. He was extremely silent ever since Andrew came.  I still couldn't believe he was my boss. Wait! Does this mean he was Emily's brother? He must be his adopted brother. I'm glad he found someone to keep him company in that unfamiliar environment. She looks really kind.

Don't you go caring for him. You're mad at him, remember? 

Yeah right. Sorry.

I thought Emily said Alex and her brother were best friends. Alex definitely knew how Gray looked like and he had not changed much. His features were more defined. His eyes sharp, cheekbones prominent and he was dressed immaculately compared to the pictures we had together where his hair was in all directions. He would not have done that to me. He had assured me that if he ever got any major news on him, he would let me know but he never mentioned that Gray was his boss. And best friend. Just what was going on.

It was clear that my attention was not on the presentation but I still managed to complete and bring up all the points I wanted to.

"Thank you for your attention," I finished with a polite smile.

"These ideas are awesome!" Andrew exclaimed while Gray's expression simply could not be deciphered.

We discussed a little longer before finalising the meeting. As I was about to leave, Gray tried holding me back. I tried ignoring him but he managed to grab my wrist before I was able to slip away. As he was about to talk my phone rang. I noticed that it was from the hospital and I  immediately picked up. 

"Hello?"

"Hello Isabella," a male voice replied.

"Who is this please?"

"Your worst nightmare."

A/N: Another cliffhanger! Now who might that be? Let me know your thoughts. Until next time have a great day/night.