Chapter 10: New Promises

I woke up to this constant annoying beep yet again. It's been a few weeks since I woke up and I feel much better. Physically at least. Mentally, I still feel like trash. I'm putting a strong front for Alex. He already lost his parents and I feel extremely guilty that he almost lost me as well. All due to my selfishness. A slight knock was heard and Alex peeped in.

"Hey sis!"

I smiled at him until I saw the tray in his hands.

Not that atrocious bland soup again.

For once we agree.

"Don't make that face."

He carefully placed the tray on a little table before checking whether there was somebody in the corridor then he closed the door making sure not to make a sound. What's with the sneakiness? He turned around with a huge grin.

"I brought chocolate muffins with chocolate chips. You're favourite!"

"That's why you were acting like a thief?" A bad one at that.

He nodded and with a childish smile he uncovered the muffins like he was uncovering a treasure.

"Such a great disguise it was. A translucent napkin. Who would have guessed." I said with fake surprise.

"I still didn't get caught," he declared proudly.

"They probably let you off the hook because they did not want to deal with a crying baby."

"You wouldn't cry over a muffin."

"I definitely would but I was talking about you breaking down in cries if Lana lectures you again."

"She is scary."

"Apparently not enough."

He jumped at the voice behind him and rushed to hide behind me seeing the elderly nurse sporting a scowl. She may have greyish hair but she has more strength than most bodybuilders.

That's a huge exaggeration.

Hush! My book, my rules.

"Don't you have any shame? Hiding behind your sister when you should be protecting her?"

"I'm not hiding behind her. I'm giving her a shoulder massage."

"Sure, you are."

"Hush Ise! You're supposed to be on my side."

"My bad A"

"I broke the rules for you."

"What's that I heard?"

"Nothing!"

"I can't with this kid. Sometimes I wonder how is he older than you."

"He might just be younger than me. We never know."

"I wouldn't be surprised."

"Hello! I'm still here."

"So?"

"No fair! You two are meanies."

He crossed his arms pouting.

"Don't worry I'll still love you if we find out you are still five," I said patting his head.