Chapter 7: Harmful Promise (2)

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well. I'm really sorry for the late update. I had been editing Past Love for the last few weeks and completed forgot to update Fulfilling Promises. I was also hesitating a lot whether to publish it or not but I finally found the courage to do it. I hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I saw the nurses rush around trying to save Alex, everything slowed down. The screams faded in the background and I realised what Alex must have felt when I was the one they were trying to save. This dread, fear of the next second. My heart was thumping wildly and I saw our whole life together flashing before my eyes. All the laughs, the teasing, the fights, the tears. Life without him really seemed so dull. Even though I was a plane ride away, I still cared about him and we talked as often as possible.

When a nurse stepped out, I quickly tried to get an update on his situation.

"He will need another surgery. We don't know what caused this. The doctor thought he might even wake up soon but now nothing is certain."

All the hope that we would be able to banter in a few days evaporated. Why is life so cruel?

They rushed him out for surgery and I watched him fade out of view. Once all of them were out of the room, I stepped inside. The room looked empty without the bed. I was scrutinising the room when I suddenly noticed the breathing machine.

I saw them taking over manually and I assumed it had to do with the heart attack. However, when I looked closely it seemed like the tube was cut. The nurses would have simply removed the mask, not cut the tube. I took a picture as evidence. I would have to ask Doc about this.

As I was checking whether the picture was clear. I got a call. I frowned looking at the unknown number. It might be from the office. I picked up.

"Hello Miss Anderson?"

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"You are required to come to the office for the presentation today itself. There have been a few changes to the schedule."

"Oh okay. I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Okay. Have a good day."

I cut the call and sighed.

Not the best timing. I mean it might be the perfect distraction but I'm not sure I want to get distracted right now.

I walked out to the reception and asked the receptionist to let me know as soon as Alex was out of the surgery before leaving for the office. I had mostly been working either from the hospital or from my house in case there was an emergency. I had not even met Emily's brother yet. My new boss. He was on a business trip. I didn't know whether I should be nervous or not. I had so many things on my mind already.

I went home first to grab my files and freshen up. You would think I was super calm considering the unpredictable fate of my brother but I know soon he'll get better. Cause he has to.

As I grabbed the pile of papers stacked on my table, one got away and dropped to the floor.

The paper was crumpled up and had tear stains on it.

Guess I have to say bye

Before I go and die

As always it's a tie

One truth, one lie

The tears I cry

Drip like a dye

Blurry is my eye

Just like my whole life

As I read the words I thought would be my last ones, I felt a tinge of sadness but the relief was far more overwhelming. If Alex had been a little more late, I wouldn't have been here today and I couldn't even reciprocate the favour. But one thing is sure, he might not have said bye but I know he will survive. He's a fighter.

I grabbed a pen and scribbled a few more lines.

I wipe my eye

Heaving a sigh

Goodbye pain, I'm alive

And I know you will be too, A.

The whole ride to the subway I listened to my recordings of my songs. I was so glad I had saved all these recordings on my drive instead of my phone. The next that came on was the first song I wrote about Gray. A small smile made its way to my lips. Those were my happy times where I allowed myself to be truly happy after mom and dad's death. Too bad it became the reason I can never be happy now.

A/N: So not only is this the first song of Fulfilling Promises, it's also the first ever love song I have written and I hesitated so much before putting it in the chapter. I hope you enjoy it.

I LOVE YOU

First time, I swear I wanted to kill you
You made everything seem so cool
I didn't allow myself to
Be happy
It's crazy

We spent so much time hanging from trees
You made living here a real dream
I couldn't even believe
I was smiling
We were laughing

I just wanted
To feel alive
After so much time
You made it possible

So thank you
For being here
I don't feel any fear

I never knew
What it was like
To feel fine
After so much time

So thank you
So thank you
So thank you

I've been waiting for so long
To smile without guilt
You made it seem possible

So thank you
So thank you
So thank you

So thank you
For being here
I don't feel any fear

I never knew
What it was like
To feel fine
After so much time
But we pushed through
We pushed through
We pushed through
And I love you

~~~~~~~

As I entered the office building I was greeted by the cold air sending a chill down my spine. I made my way to the reception desk and the receptionist directed me to the meeting room. Now that I was really here, I felt butterflies in my stomach. Not the happy ones, the nervous ones. It was going to be my first presentation. I was hoping everything would go well.

You need to calm down Ise. Breathe in, breathe through, breathe deep, breathe out.

The elevator dinged and I stepped out feeling slightly better. I was getting major deja vu. I only wished it will not end with me running to get on the soonest flight like last time. I marched towards the meeting room with determined steps. I can do this, I kept repeating to myself. I knocked on the door and heard someone call me in. I entered and my whole body froze. You gotta be kidding me.

"Hey Belle."

A/N: Can you guess who it is? Let me know in the comments. Until next time have a great day/night.