Chapter 3.2: I Promised

(Alex's POV)

"Ok, we're off to pick up your new sister."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Come on, don't be like that. We talked about this."

"I know. I just don't get why are we adopting a fifteen years old girl. If you want another kid, you could have picked a younger one not a bratty teenager."

"You should not base yourself off stereotypes."

"I'm basing myself on science. All teenagers are rebellious as they go through puberty. I am."

"Yes, you are. You should learn a few things from her."

"Whatever."

"You'll learn to love her. We promise."

I rolled my eyes.

"Have a safe trip. I'm off to watch a movie."

"Please be civil when we return with her."

"Sure."

She sighed.

"That's your, I'm gonna ignore this kinda sure."

"Wow, you know me so well, mom."

She shook her head at me.

"Just... Nevermind. Bye."

I waved at her before dropping down on the couch. I heard the car door close and the engine starting.

"Why are they even looking for another child? Am I not enough trouble?"

I couldn't concentrate on the movie as I felt all kind of emotions swirling in me and I eventually dozed off.

~

"Alex! Wake up!"

"It's fine Mrs Anderson. Let him sleep, he is surely tired."

"Yeah listen to her," I sleepily replied. "Wait what? Who was that?" I jolted awake.

"Hi. I'm Isabella but you can call me Isa. You're Alexander, right? Or would you prefer I call you Alex?"

I was not expecting her to be like this. I thought nerds were no longer a thing.

"Let me guess, you're a total nerd, top of your class, always hanging around with books. You just lack the glasses."

"Well I am a nerd but I'm home schooled so I don't know about being a topper and I hand around with diaries not books. As for the glasses, I do use them but only when I'm using technology."

"You're a tough one, aren't you?"

"You bet."

"I think we'll get along well."

"I doubt it. You need to get over yourself first then I'll consider socialising with you."

"Seems like you found your match."

"You were right mom. I love her already."

She sent me a smile.

"I'm glad. She's way stronger than she looks. She's been through so much yet she still stands tall."

She paused before saying, "Promise you will protect her with your life."

"I promise."

~~~~~~~

I was fuming with anger as I made my way to them when I heard a loud honk. I didn't have time to react before the car barrelled into me. I was projected away, my body slamming against the road sending jolts of pain through out my body. I heard the car swerving, a few screams and a distant siren. Everything grew hazier, black spots were flying around. The sounds getting muffled. Then black. Pure darkness.

I heard fragments of conversations. A lot of screaming, I felt a strong gust of wind rush over me. My eyes fluttered open to blinding lights. My head was pounding and my whole body was throbbing with pain.

"The patient is conscious. Prepare sedation."

I felta stinging pain in my arm and then I was submerged in darkness again. The nextthing I know, I woke up but I could not quite open my eyes. There was aconstant beeping sound. I had no idea of what was happening. I heard a low screech then a voice.

"Hey thief. How's life?"

Isa! What is she doing here? She has her interview today.

"You finally managed to bring me back to New York huh?"

What? She came to New York!

"If you wanted me to return so bad, you could have said so. What was the need of all this?"

Way to make it about you, sis.

"Yes, I'm super self-centered to make this about me. What's new in that?"

True.

"You realise you said you would make me visit when I return, right?"

And you promised you would return.

"Yeah, I also promised I would return but here I am, right?"

I heard her voice crack and for the first time since I heard her voice I really realised the situation. She really was here. Flashes of the accident came to my mind and I felt horrible for doing this to her.

"I can't do this again A. Not without you. You promised you would protect me and I couldn't protect you."

I felt a tear dropped on my hand and the urge to cry overwhelmed me. I felt her placing her hand in mine as always mine completely engulfed hers.

"You're still a giant," she said with a chuckle.

You're still tiny.

"And nope I'm not tiny."

"I missed you. I really did."

So did I.

"Please wake up fast. I won't survive in New York without your quick remarks on a stranger's weird hat or sunglasses."

I'll try sis. I'll try my best. I promise.

"I won't survive with his memories haunting me in every corner."

I'm sorry I can't be there for you. I'm so sorry.

It's been a few minutes of silence and I guessed she fell asleep. I just wanted to get up already and hug her tight. It's been so long since I actually saw her. Even when I visited her, it was always for an extremely short time. She was finally back home and I could not even welcome her.

I heard the screeching sound again. I'm guessing that's the door. Since no one talked, I assumed it was a nurse checking on me.

"I'm glad you're back Belle."

Him! What is he doing here? Hasn't he caused enough harm?

A/N: Hi everyone. I hope you are all doing well. This is a rather short chapter but I wanted to give a little insight on Alex's situation. I hope you enjoyed it.

I would also like to apologise if it is medically inaccurate. I don't wish to offend anyone in anyway.

Thank you for reading and all your support.

Stay tuned for any future chapters. Until next time have a great day/night.