Chapter 3.1: You Promised

"Get back here, you thief! I was here first."

"Too bad, I have it now."

I chased after him as he held the last chocolate bar above his head

"We can share. Half-half."

"Nope! It's mine."

Our chase was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"Were you expecting someone?"

"No."

I went to open the door with Alex in tow and we met by two policemen.

"Alexander and Isabella Anderson?"

"Yes. How can we help you officers?"

They looked at each other before sending us a pitiful glance.

"We're sorry to inform you that your parents had a severe car accident. They didn't make it."

My heart shattered in tiny pieces and tears welled up in my eyes. My lips wobbled as I shook my head adamantly.

"No! It can't be. I just got a family. They can't be gone too."

I felt a tear drop on my shoulder as Alex pulled me in a hug.

"Shh. It's going to be fine."

"Our condolences," saying that the officers left.

I turned into Alex's chest as I gripped his shirt in a tight grip, a sob racking my body. He patted my head while silently crying. I looked up at him and the sight brought more tears. He looked so broken.

"I'm so sorry. I should not have came here. I'm cursed. Everyone I care for, always leave."

"Shh. Don't say that. I'm here. I promise I'll always take care of you and protect you from this cruel world."

~~~~~~~

I lost track of the cutie once I got down from the plane. After going through all the procedures, I stepped out, feeling the oh so familiar wind hit my face.

"I'm back New York."

I was finally in front of the hospital. I rushed inside.

"Good afternoon. I'm here Alexander Anderson. What room is he in, please?"

"You are?"

"His sister. Isabella Anderson," I replied giving her my ID.

"Room 157. 1st floor, 5th corridor, 7th door."

"Thank you."

I walked to the elevator before glancing at the stairs.

"It's only one floor. I can take the stairs."

I climbed up the stairs two at a time. When I reached the first floor, I was met with a seemingly never-ending corridor, the white walls brought back memories I never wanted to think about again. I could feel my heart pounding faster and faster, my breath hitched before I felt like I couldn't breathe. I started panting. My vision grew hazy and I felt the force leave my body. My whole body was shivering. I broke out in a cold sweat.

I leaned against the wall trying to calm myself down. I could hear Alex's voice telling me to take in deep breaths and counting to ten. I closed my eyes and counted. My heart rate gradually slowed down.

"Miss? Miss? Are you okay?"

I slowly opened my eyes and my vision cleared.

"Are you ok?" a nurse asked.

"Yes. I'm better."

I stood up straight. I could see the worry in her eyes and I sent her a small smile.

"I was looking for Room 157. Can you please help me?"

"Yes sure."

She led me to the room.

"It's right here."

"Thank you."

"No problem."

Just as I reached in front of the room, the door opened and a doctor stepped out.

"Yes. How can I help you?"

"I'm Isabella Anderson. Alexander Anderson's sister. How is he?"

"Ah yes. I'm Doctor Arthur. I'll be in charge of your brother's recovery. He is stable now, Miss Anderson. The blood transfusion put him out of danger."

"Blood transfusion?"

"Yes. A friend of his shared his blood type and donated his blood to help your brother. You weren't informed?"

"No. Is he the donor still here?"

"He just left. You didn't meet him while coming up?"

I shook my head. I should have taken the lift after all. I might have known the person..

"It's ok. I'll thank him another time. Can I meet my brother?"

"You can but I should warn you. He might be out of danger for now but he is still in a coma."

"Do you have any idea when he might wake up?"

"At least one or two weeks for him to heal but after that it will be on him."

"Is there anything I can do to help him in any way?"

"Talking to him might help. Tell him about your day, things you normally do so that he can situate himself."

I nodded.

"You may go in."

"Thank you."

I gently slid the door open. One look at him and I could feel tears building up in my eyes. How many times? How many times will I have to see this scene? What is it the third time already? How many times will I have be to act strong?

The constant beeping of the heart monitor, the drip of the IV, it all seemed natural to me and it was scary. I've spent half of my life here. I don't want to see him do the same.

I slowly approached his bed.

"Hey thief. How's life?"

All I had as response was the beeping but I could feel that he was listening and he was replying sarcastically as always.

"You finally managed to bring me back to New York huh? If you wanted me to return so bad, you could have said so. What was the need of all this? Yes, I'm super self-centered to make this about me. What's new in that? You realise you said you would make me visit when I return, right? Yeah, I also promised I would return but here I am, right?

My voice cracked as I continued.

"I can't do this again A. Not without you. You promised you would protect me and I couldn't protect you."

A tear dropped on his hand. I wiped it before placing mine in his. His practically engulfed mine.

"You're still a giant," I said with a chuckle. "And nope I'm not tiny."

"I missed you. I really did. Please wake up fast. I won't survive in New York without your quick remarks on a stranger's weird hat or sunglasses."

I laid my head on the bed and closed my eyes before whispering, "I won't survive with his memories haunting me in every corner."

I don't know when or how but I eventually dozed off. Deep in sleep, I heard a whisper.

"I'm glad you're back Belle."

A/N: Hi everyone! Any idea who it could be?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I would like to apologise for any medical inaccuracy. This book is completely fictional but I don't wish to spread misinformation either.

Lastly, I was thinking of writing Alex's POV of this conversation but Isa's replies will be the same so it might be repetitive. So should I do it? Let me know in the comments.

Thank you for reading. See you in another chapter soon. Until next time have a great day/night. Bye!