Chapter 4: Past promises

Trigger warning: Self harm.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.  Take care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More tears poured out of my eyes as I stared at my scarred hands. It didn't help a bit. I thought that hurting myself physically would justify my pain but it didn't. It never did, yet here I was a blade in my hand, tears in my eyes, blood on my wrists, just like all the days before. Was I worse than a murderer for I tortured but never killed?

"Isa, hurry up! Dinner's getting cold." I heard Alex's voice call from the kitchen. I jolted out of my trance. I hurriedly wiped my tears and cleaned my wrists before shrugging on a large hoodie. I wore them so often Alex no longer questioned my weird fashion style. I skipped some stairs before strolling into the kitchen.

"Finally! Here we go!"

He handed me a plate of my favourite dish, homemade lasagna. I looked up at him questionably. "What did you do wrong this time?"

He looked up his plate, feigning innocence. "What?"

I pointed to the plate sending him a knowing look.

"Am I not allowed to make my favourite sister her favourite dish."

"I'm your only sister that's why I know something's up."

He sighed.

"The funds are not enough anymore, Isa. My salary at work is not much and the big companies won't hire me until I get my degree. You'll have to go to college and I don't know how we'll get enough money to pay for the fees..."

"Hey, hey. It's fine. I can start working. I'm seventeen now. As for college, we'll cross that bridge when we reach it. I'm trying my best at school and I applied for several scholarships, hopefully I get one. We can do this together, A."

"I'm so sorry Ise. I'm the worst elder brother you could have gotten."

"Don't ever say that. You're the best brother in the world. You could have easily sent me back but you let me stay with you. I should be the sorry one. If it wasn't me for me, you would be well off."

"Nonsense! You're my little dose of sarcasm filled with love. I wouldn't go a day without you."

I felt a pang of guilt at his words. There I was barely moments ago, trying to get him rid of me. I can never let him know but I promise I'll try my best to get better and stop this.

"Same for me."

He grinned.

"I love you sis."

"Love you more thief."

~~~~~~~

My eyes fluttered open as the sunlight hit my face. I was welcomed by the same beeping sound. I looked up at my idiot of a brother. He looked calm and at peace even though he had several bruises marring his body. His brownish curls sat on his head held back by a bandage on his forehead. All I wished was for him was to open his crystal blue eyes and send me his million-dollar smile. His broken glasses were laying on the side table. I should probably get him new ones.

The door slid open and Dr Arthur stepped in. He sent me a smile.

"Good morning, Miss Anderson."

"Good morning doctor. You will probably see me here often so please call me Isabella."

He chuckled. "Sure Isabella. I'm just gonna check on his vitals then I'll be off."

I nodded. I stared him watching his movements. I don't know why he reminded me of Ela. The way he moved about. I gently shook my head. What a crazy thought. It must be the fact that I'm back in New York after so long.

"By the way, the blood donor came around earlier. You were still asleep so he didn't wake you up."

"Damn it! I keep missing him. Let's hope next time, our timings sync."

He gave me a sad smile. I had a feeling he knew something I didn't.

"He said he would come around again. You will meet him sooner or later."

"Let's hope it's sooner."

He sent me a small smile. A question lingered in my mind but I did not know how to address it.

"His vitals look good. He looks stable. I'll come to check on him later." I smiled.

"Thanks doc... Sorry, I mean thank you doctor."

"It's fine. As you said, I'll be seeing you around often. Might as well be informal."

He turned to leave and I mustered the courage to ask him.

'Um... doc?"

He stopped at the door and looked back at me.

"For the medical fees, how much will it be?"

He sighed, he looked saddened. The amount he told me made my eyes pop up. Holy lyre! I was right! I definitely have to start working. My only option is to apply for jobs in the marketing field. This reminded me of the time where we were both struggling to get a job at our young age. I shook my head to get rid of the thought that accompanied those memories. Focus on the present, Isa. I was still calculating how I was going to get that kind of money when Dr Arthur spoke up.

"You can pay it over a period of time but interest will count on that."

"That's fine. Thanks doc."

I better start looking for a job immediately. The sooner I get one, the better.

"Well A, I'm off to find a hobby. I won't just sit here all day I'll have a sore bum. I'm crashing at your place by the way. I hope you don't mind."

I looked at him and I could clearly imagine his response.

"Of course, I don't. It's equally your place as it is mine. Except for the chocolate."

I smiled.

"Wake up soon but please do it when I'm around. So I can beat your a** for getting your a** beat. I know I'm selfish. Bye thief."

As soon as I stepped out, my stomach growled. I should probably fill you up. I made my way to the cafeteria of the hospital. There were not many options but it would do to subdue the monster roaring in my stomach.

I grabbed the cheapest thing they had which was a sandwich and sat at one of the tables. I reached for my phone but I realised it was probably still lying on the floor in front of the music producer's office. I sighed, dropping my head on the table. Ouch! Bad idea. I rubbed my forehead trying to ease the rising headache. I had so many things to do and I didn't have much time. I was still debating whether to go back to retrieve my phone as well as pack some stuff for myself. It was the best solution but it would take quite a bit of money and time. Or I could borrow a phone and ask Amy to ship those off. She already has a key to my apartment. Yeah I think I'll do that. Now where in the world will I get a phone to borrow?

A/N: Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well. Sorry for disappearing for so long. I wanted to update for so long but exams added to being sick is not the best combo. Now that my exams are over and I'm kind of in holidays, I will hopefully have more time to write. I was debating whether to write an April Fool's special. Let me know if any of you are interested. Thank you for your patience and support. Until next time, have a great day/night.