3

"Say you never saw us growing old, oh, we can still live young." Adeline by John-Robert

" Adeline by John-Robert

"Oh, Laurie..." Addy had to think of something quick. She needed to get Laurie to be her friend and trust her while also introducing him to Jo so that they could fall in love. If things got awkward, she would never have the leverage to make things right. 

"Thank you so much for the offer, but... I have actually been quite sad tonight, as Jo seems so lonely. Meg, her older sister, is so natural in these social gatherings, but Jo struggles to connect with others well. I wish she had someone like you to dance with..." Adeline trailed off, hoping he would get the hint and take his focus off of her. 

"Oh... well, perhaps I could remedy that..." he trailed off as well, feeling the disappointment swell in his chest. 

"Oh, Teddy, it would mean the world to me!" Addy rushed out, forgetting that his nickname had not been established. His eyes flashed with wonder as he stared at the beautiful girl in front of him. 

"Teddy?"

"Well, I thought it could be a nickname. Anyways, I would be in such debt to you if you were to dance with my dear Jo!" Adeline smiled kindly, gently opening the curtain again as if to rush him out. 

"As you wish, Del." He smiled gently, making the girl blush at the nickname. 

"Del?"

"I thought it could be a nickname," he chuckled, walking off towards Jo before she could respond. Adeline watched in a daze as he introduced himself, instantly making the girl laugh before they brought their hands together and began dancing to the tune. 

Adeline shook her head, ridding any and all thoughts of the green-eyed boy from her mind. She was here for one thing and one thing only; to get Jo and Laurie together. 

The evening went on with Addy watching from a distance as the couples danced together, including keeping a sharp eye on Meg and Jo as she felt protective of her almost sisters. 

Before long, the songs had shifted into a tender and soft piece that made Adeline smile before she realized she could no longer see Jo. She frantically looked around before spinning directly into a cloth-clad chest behind her, hearing a familiar chuckle from Laurie. 

"Where's Jo?" She asked quickly, staring up at the handsome boy. He grabbed her shoulders, sensing the panic rise in her. 

"Calm down, she went to go find something to eat. She was getting hungry after all the dancing," Addy breathed a sigh of relief as she smiled more softly at Laurie. 

"Thank you so much for keeping her company. I just find her so wonderful, don't you think?" She smiled cheekily up at him as he looked very intentionally at Adeline. 

"It is a very kind thing to sacrifice your desires for the betterment of someone else," he spoke softly, admiration clearly in his eyes. Adeline smirked lightly, forgetting herself, and stepped closer to Laurie. 

"How do you know what I desire?" She spoke equally as gently before realizing what she was doing and taking a step back, changing the atmosphere. 

"Anyways, thank you again, I am in debt to you," she put her hands behind her back before remembering that Meg said not to, settling for holding her hands in front of her, staring down at them in awkward embarrassment. 

"Well, I know how you can repay me," Laurie smiled brightly, though sad that their possible moment was over. He had an idea. 

"Oh?" Adeline smiled up at him, hoping she could continue to foster this friendship in order to convince Tedd- Laurie, to pursue his feelings with Jo sooner. Laurie took a step closer to the girl, noticing their height difference. 

"Would you dance with me now?" He asked politely, placing his hand in front of him. Addy paused, not knowing if that was a good idea. 

"Well... I would just hate for Jo to see and think that I was somehow being sneaky or dishonest," Addy fumbled over her words, turning to look for Jo in case she was near and looking for them. Before she could refuse, Laurie grabbed her hand and led her quickly through the party, causing Adeline to squeak and follow suit. 

Before long they were outside the grand house on the porch, which surrounded the whole building. The song had switched to another soft melody that relied heavily on strings and piano to carry the beautiful tune. Laurie offered his hand again, smiling stupidly at the girl. 

"There, now no one will see us," he took a step forward as Addy hesitantly took his hand and got closer to the boy she was trying to set up with Jo. His hand naturally found her waist and he looked directly down at the girl who suddenly found the material of his shirt very interesting to look at. 

"Addy, you can look at me. I won't hurt you," Laurie spoke in a soft tone, reminding Adeline of comfort and home. She slowly looked up at him to see his radiant eyes shining back down at her. She melted. 

"I know," she mumbled back. Laurie then pulled her even closer as her head naturally rested on his chest and he brought their joined hands to rest where his heart was beating far too fast. Addy heard it, knowing that this was bad, but she thought to herself that she had plenty of time to get Jo and Laurie to fall in love. 

She could enjoy one night. 

AN: you better watch out, you better not cry..... you better not fall in love with Laurie or Jo will be pissed...