13

"You say it's not supposed to be, tell me not to waste my time. This was never up to me, but if it was I wouldn't mind." Like This by Shawn Mendes

It was a beautiful day to go to the beach, and the March sisters were thrilled to dress in their sun clothes and bask in the light of spring

It was a beautiful day to go to the beach, and the March sisters were thrilled to dress in their sun clothes and bask in the light of spring. Laurie had insisted on hosting a gathering between a British family he knew and the March sisters. 

"It is my pleasure to introduce Fred Vaughn and his sister Kate Vaughn. And of course, you know Mr. Brooke," Laurie smiled at Meg who bowed her head to hide her blush. 

"This is Meg, Addy, Jo, Beth, and Amy," Laurie introduced the March sisters, his eyes lingering on Addy for a second, noting how sweet she looked with her beach hat on and her hair wisping around in the wind. 

"So please to meet you," Fred smiled warmly at the girls, and Amy's eyes perked up. 

"Oh, how elegant! Remember the name Amy March, I'm going to come find you one day in London," Amy giggled, infatuated with the British gentleman. 

"Oh, I certainly will!" Fred chuckled as Amy pulled him along the beach. The group fell in step, Meg getting to know Kate with John following close behind her like a puppy dog. Beth and Marmee had set up on the beach on a blanket and Adeline plopped next to her, scooping her in a hug. 

Before long Amy returned to the blanket, beginning to draw the figures playing along the shoreline, and Jo came to collect Addy to play in the water with her. 

"Remember your first summer with us when you and I would spend all of our time in the river?" Jo reminisced with Amy, thinking about last year and the fun they had. 

"How could I forget, you attempted to drown me every five minutes," Addy chuckled, grabbing onto Jo and trying to whip her into the waves. Laurie joined them, chasing the girls with the threat of throwing them in the water. 

Jo continues to look back as Meg and John are flirting, smiling intimately at each other and standing close as they speak. Jo is annoyed at this and Laurie notices, sneaking up behind her. 

"I know something you don't know!" He whispered, trying to run away. Jo grabs onto his sleeve as Addy chuckles.

"Tell me this second!" Jo demands as she and Addy block him from escaping. 

"Has Meg perhaps mislaid a glove?" Laurie smiles devilishly and Addy giggles, staring back at Meg and John. 

"Mr. Brooke has it? How do you know?" Jo whisper yells, narrowing her eyes at Laurie. 

"Saw it."

"Where?"

"Pocket." 

"All this time?"

"Yes, isn't it romantic?" Laurie's eyes flickered to Addy

"No, it's horrid!" Jo scoffed and Laurie furrowed his eyebrows.