23

"Through all the people and places and lifetimes we pass through, it will always come back to you." Adeline by John-Robert 

Adeline made her way up to the attic where the girls all used to play their games and make-believe

Adeline made her way up to the attic where the girls all used to play their games and make-believe. It had been a short while since the funeral, so all of Beth's things were still in the process of being put away for safekeeping. The older March sister noticed that Jo was perched in the room, in the spot where she used to do all of her writing. 

"Oh, I'm sorry Jo. I hope I didn't interrupt a masterpiece," she smiled at her sister. Jo spun around, smiling dimly when she saw Addy. 

"I don't write much anymore. I didn't save her," Jo mumbled, causing Adeline's heart to break. She made her way to sit on the lounge chair near the desk, patting the spot next to her. Jo obliged. 

"Are you planning on heading back to New York soon? I hear from your letters that there is a friend there waiting for you- Friedrich?" Addy smiled knowingly, teasing her sister slightly. 

"Oh Addy, I ruined our friendship with my temper, just as I ruin everything!" Jo stood quickly, placing her hands on her hips as she searched the room. 

"I can't argue with that," Adeline mumbled causing Jo to gasp, hitting her sister with the hem of her dress. 

"I'm joking! I'm sure he cannot be easily deterred by Jo March," Addy hummed. 

"I wish that were true. If I were some girl in a book then this would all be so easy! I would happily give up the world," Jo plopped back in her seat as Adeline smiled mildly at the irony that only she got- Jo was a girl in a book, to an extent. 

"Well, Amy and Fred Vaughn are returning soon. She was devastated to hear the news of Beth but she is rushing home with a wonderful man who I hear is keen on marrying her," Addy tried to switch the conversation, unknowingly making it worse. 

"That is the problem! Meg is married and off with her own family, Amy is likely to be engaged before she even arrives home, you and Laurie are bound to marry soon and Beth is gone! What is left for me?" Jo huffed, admitting defeat and slamming her hands against her thighs. 

Adeline sighed at the thought of spending the rest of her life with Laurie, however, Jo's situation was seemingly dim. 

"Jo, why do you feel the need to compare your life to your sisters at every waking moment?" Adeline asked a question that took Jo completely off guard. 

"I... I don't know. I guess I just want to be known as the one who had it all figured out," she sighed, placing her head onto Addy's shoulder as her eyes welled with tears. 

"Adeline, I... I want to be loved. That's why Teddy's proposal was so destructive to me- I wished I could have said yes. I want nothing more than to be like other women and fall in love and be loved in return but I also want to keep my fire and passions. I just cannot have both in this world," she admitted something she never thought she would.