5

"Her fight and fury is fiery, oh but she loves." Cherry Wine by Hozier

It had been months and months since Laurie had been around the March house, as he did not dare to visit them on his own terms so as to not seem desperate

It had been months and months since Laurie had been around the March house, as he did not dare to visit them on his own terms so as to not seem desperate. In fact, all the seasons had passed and it had returned to winter in 1861. Adeline had been with the March family for over a year now, and she was feeling more and more as if this place was home now. She was now 18 years old, accepting her role as a young lady in society. 

Adeline awoke on Christmas morning, Meg still fast asleep beside her. She smiled, jumping on top of the girl with a bright smile. 

"Wake up! It is Christmas!" Addy called, jumping onto Beth next who was alone in Marmee's bed. She then moved to Amy last, realizing that Jo was not in her usual spot with her. 

The girls tumbled downstairs, preparing for the morning with Hannah as Jo continued to sleep in the attic where she fell asleep writing last night. Hannah and Adeline prepared breakfast while Beth helped to make small cakes. Amy and Meg began decorating, giggling together as they had fun with the garlands. 

"Jo! Get up already!" Meg called once breakfast was done. The girls were starving as they waited for Jo and wondered where their Mother had gone off to.  Jo woke up, wrapping herself in a blanket before crawling down from the attic and joining her family downstairs. 

"Merry Christmas!" She smiled as the girls all ran to attack her with affection. 

"Jo, we've been up for hours!" Meg smiled as Beth began asking about the papers she was carrying. 

"I was finishing up our little revenge play... POISON!" Jo smiled devilishly, causing Amy to grumble. 

"No poison, it's Christmas," she groaned from her spot on the floor. Jo flopped down beside her. 

"It won't feel like Christmas without any presents," Jo sighed. 

"It's so dreadful to be poor," Meg sat down on a chair more properly than the two girls on the floor. Amy pouted. 

"It's not fair at all that some girls have lots of pretty things and other girls have nothing," she mumbled, fiddling with her nose again. Addy grabbed Amy's hand, stopping her from trying to change herself somehow. 

"Well, at least we have Mother and Father and each other. A wonderful family," Beth smiled, and Adeline's heart dropped as it occurred to her that she did not have a family. Beth noticed this. 

"We don't have Father. And we won't have him as long as this war drags on," Jo sighs, sitting up straight and noticing that Addy's attitude had changed. 

"Addy, what's wrong?" Jo asked, grabbing the girl's hands with worry in her eyes. It occurred to Jo before Addy could even answer; she had no family at all. 

"Oh, Adeline. I'm so sorry, here we are complaining about how lonely and sad we are when you do not even know if you have a family!" Jo cried, pulling the girl towards her into a hug. The three remaining girls all gathered around, placing their hands on Addy.