4

"Oh Adeline, off you go, you were always raised to be a rolling stone." Adeline by John-Robert 

Addy was snapped out of her daze by knocking on the window next to her and Laurie

Addy was snapped out of her daze by knocking on the window next to her and Laurie. They jumped apart to see Meg being held up by Jo, pointing to her ankle. 

They rushed inside to the injured Meg and Addy got on the other side of her, helping Jo carry her weight. 

"What happened?" Adeline breathed, comforting the older girl as she let tears escape. 

"It was these blasted shoes! How will I get home?!" Meg cried as Adeline hushed her quietly, soothing her bold emotions. 

"I don't see what you can do except get a carriage or stay here all night," Jo offered up as the girls began moving towards the door. Laurie trailed behind them. 

"Carriages are too expensive," Meg glared at Jo as if she should know not to even offer that option. 

"Well, let me take you. It's right next door," Laurie offered to Meg, though his eyes remained on Adeline. 

"No, thank you, we cannot accept," Meg rushed out, looking away from Laurie in embarrassment. 

"You must take mine, please!" Laurie pleaded with the girls as they all looked at each other. 

"No, it's so early! You can't mean to leave yet," Meg refused again, though Jo stared at her incredulously. 

"I always leave early, I do, truly," Laurie pleaded one more time. Jo stared at the boy for a second before turning to her sister. 

"What other choice do you have?" She pointed out, watching as Meg slowly cracked. 

"Alright, thank you very much, Mr. Laurence," Meg sighed, smiling gratefully at the boy before following his eye line to see he was watching Addy as she was bent adjusting Meg's shoes to make them more comfortable for her. Meg shared a secret smile with herself.  

The four people crammed into the carriage, Meg's leg draped across Adeline's lap as Jo and Laurie sat across from them. Addy secretly smiled at the thought as the two future lovers joked around together. There was a mild burning in her chest, however, that Adeline wished would go away. 

He's not even real. 

Once they arrived at the March house, Laurie and Addy helped Meg to the door while Jo rushed inside, Marmee waiting in the living room covered in flour and laughing incredulously. 

"Goodness gracious, what have you done?" Marmee laughed, ushering the group inside. Beth and Amy rushed forward, attacking Addy and Jo with questions before Jo held out her hands to the younger girls. 

"Here, make room! Meg is a wounded soldier!" She cried as the family made space for the injured girl. Laurie watched the room explode with energy as he helped Adeline place Meg on a chair in the living room. He smiled at the antics of the women, liking the feeling of being in their home. 

"I sprained my ankle dancing!" Meg protested, swatting Jo on the arm at her dramatic antics. 

"Oh Meg, you'll kill yourself for fashion one of these days. Hannah! We need ice!" Marmee called, and their trusted caretaker, Hannah, rushed out to retrieve ice from the cold outside. 

"Tell us about it! Who is the boy?" Amy screamed the first part, mumbling quietly to ask Addy about Laurie so he could not hear. Adeline chuckled as Beth began asking about the music. Addy looked up to see Laurie standing back from the group, watching them with adoration in his eyes. 

"Come in, dear! Apologies for the chaos, I quite enjoy late-night baking. Don't mind the clutter, Mr. Laurence; we sure don't," Marmee chuckled, grabbing Laurie by the arm and bringing him closer to the scene as the women crowded around Meg. 

"Laurie, please," he smiled, liking the loving nature of the March Mother. 

"Can I call you Teddy?" Jo called instantly, coming up with a nickname that Adeline had accidentally spoiled earlier. Laurie's eyes snapped to Addy, watching her carefully as she tensed lightly, but he noticed. 

"Well, Addy has seemed to take a liking to that nickname," he blushed lightly as Jo pouted. 

"Nonsense! Jo, you must call him Teddy," Adeline rushed out, keeping her eyes focused on Meg's injured foot, trying to seem nonchalant. Laurie's heart sunk at the thought of her not having a special nickname for him anymore. 

"You must be a part of the girls' theatricals! They could use an extra player, though you'll have to fight Jo for the male parts. Or play a girl, I suppose," Marmee chuckled, petting Meg's head lightly. Amy is staring at Laurie, amazed that a boy is in her house. 

Marmee shoves a scone into Laurie's hands before Hannah returns with ice. 

"Laurie, how are your ankles? Do you need ice?" Marmee was snickering at herself as Addy tended to Meg's ankle with the ice. Laurie shook his head with a polite smile. 

"No thank you, ma'am," his smile moved to slight sadness as he watched the bustling family, wishing for one of his own. 

"Please, call me Mother, or Marmee, everyone else does!" She placed a hand on his shoulder before returning to Meg. 

"It really seems like being a fine young lady coming home from a party in a carriage and having maids to wait on me," Meg smiled through her pain, laughing at her adoring yet chaotic family. 

"I don't believe fine young ladies enjoy themselves a bit more than we do," Jo stated, jumping around the room with Beth. Beth was shyly avoiding eye contact with the stranger in the room, allowing Jo to pull her in all directions. 

"Well, it seems I must be getting home," Laurie mumbled sadly, not wanting to intrude any longer on the women. Jo snapped her head towards him, rushing up to the boy and shaking his hand aggressively. 

"Thank you, Teddy. We appreciate your rescuing of our poor Meg," she smiled, rushing back to the group. Laurie chuckled, sneaking one last glance at Adeline just as she looked up at him. She smiled warmly, debating walking him to the door. She knew she could not. It was not her story. 

"You are welcome here any time, Laurie," Marmee smiled lovingly at the young man as he walked towards the door. He nodded at all the women, bidding them goodnight before leaving the warm house. 

Addy rushed to a window as Jo rushed upstairs, beginning to resume her writing which she did every night. Adeline watched carefully, making sure he would look back to the window where Jo sat, writing. She watched as he stopped at the fence, turning and looking up to the highest window where Jo was. 

Adeline smiled brightly, pumping her fists around and jumping excitedly, glad that her plan was working. What she did not notice was that Laurie's gaze shifted to her in the window on the bottom floor of the house as she danced and jumped with joy. He smiled lovingly, watching this mysterious girl be unapologetically herself, and he loved every moment of it. 

AN: Yooooo I am thriving I love this dynamic hehe.