7

"Hello my old heart, how have you been? Are you still there inside my chest? I've been so worried, you've been so still. Barely beating at all." Hello My Old Heart by The Oh Hellos

The five March sisters were linked together by their arms, braving the January cold of 1862 as they prepared to return to a normal life of sorts

The five March sisters were linked together by their arms, braving the January cold of 1862 as they prepared to return to a normal life of sorts. They were preparing to drop Amy off at school and go off to complete their other chores and tasks. 

"It's so hard to go back to work after such good times," Meg sighed, her arm joined with Beth's. 

"I wish it was Christmas every day," Beth smiled, sighing as if she was dreaming. Addy unlinked her arms and grabbed Beth, swinging her around. 

"Then it shall be, my Queen!" She cooed as Beth blushed and giggled at the girl's antics. 

"We're a bunch of ungrateful minxes!" Jo exclaimed, causing Meg to gasp. 

"Don't use such dreadful expressions!" Meg chastised as Jo smirked proudly.

"I like using strong words that mean something," Jo countered, sticking her nose up. 

"Well I have to go to school, and I don't have any limes!" Amy wailed with sadness and drama. 

"Limes?" Jo asked, her eyebrows scrunching together. 

"The girls have been trading pickled limes and I am in debt. I owe oh so many limes!" Amy cried again, and Addy rolled her eyes with a smile at her sister's melodrama. 

Meg handed Amy a quarter, causing the girl to perk up and thank her sister. Jo grumbled about how that was unfair and Amy had to learn to be grateful. 

"Between that and the drawings, that should wipe out my debt!" Amy cheered. Jo looked at her with narrowed eyes. 

"What drawings?" Jo asked with skepticism. 

"Nothing!" Amy closed her mouth quickly as Addy shot her a look. 

"Be careful, girl. Do not get caught," she whispered to Amy, knowing the price of her nasty drawings of others. 

"Beth, after your shopping I need you to work your way through the new sums and spelling and I'll check it all when I get home!" Jo called, beginning to make her way to Aunt March's house with Addy by her side. 

Jo and Addy dropped Amy off at school as they made their way to their Aunt's large house, jumping over the wood fence with a giggle. 

After much bothering from Aunt March, Jo begins to read her book to Aunt March and Adeline plays the violin that Aunt March insisted she learns to play. She was getting quite good and enjoyed having a hobby. She even liked to play alongside Beth's piano. 

Aunt March began to doze, and once she was asleep with her poodle in her lap, Jo and Addy softly stopped their activities and began to read their own books. Their Aunt snapped awake. 

"Josephine! Adeline!" She called, as the two girls rushed back to their spots. 

"Is there a reason you stopped reading and playing?" She questioned bitterly. 

"Of course, I'm sorry Aunt March," Jo mumbled and Addy agreed, starting to play again. 

"You mind yourselves, girls, one day you will need me and you'll wish you were kinder to me. Especially you, with no family other than the Marches. You're lucky I was kind enough to accept you," Aunt March narrowed her eyes at Adeline as she took a deep breath to calm her anger. 

"Thank you for your kindness and employment, Aunt March, though I plan to make my own way in the world one day," Adeline said firmly, Jo nodding. 

"No one makes their own way, really, least of all a woman. You'll need to marry well," the old woman insisted as Jo scrunched up her nose and Addy rolled her eyes. 

"You are not married, Aunt March," Jo stated, causing Addy to have to hold back her snort. 

"That's because I was rich and made sure to keep my money, unlike your Father and Mother," Aunt March huffed, looking away from the girls. 

"So the only way to be an unmarried woman is to be rich?" Jo asked. 

"Yes." 

"But there are precious few ways for women to make money," Adeline protested, knowing that this world was far different from her own. 

"That's not true. You could run a cat house, or go on the stage. Practically the same thing," Aunt March chortled, petting her precious poodle. 

"So I need to be kind to you and marry well," Jo stated, exasperated at her options in life. 

"So you can live a better life than your poor Mother," the woman stated, nodding her head at the two girls. 

"But Marmee loves her life!" Adeline protested, knowing that while it was not easy, Marmee cherished the life she had. 

"You don't know what your Mother loves. Your Father cared more about educated freedmen's children than his own family," 

"Yes, but he was right," Jo countered, getting angrier at the situation. Adeline had stopped playing and put a hand on her sister's shoulder to calm her. 

"It is possible to be right and foolish," Aunt March pressed, causing Adeline to tense up. 

"I don't think so," Jo tried to stand, but Addy kept her in her seat. 

"I'm not paying you to think," Aunt March argued, gesturing to her book as if she should just keep reading after all of these rude comments. She noticed the girl's deflated looks and softened slightly. 

"I know you don't care much about marriage now. I can't say I blame you, but I intend to go to Europe one more time, and I need a companion. How would you like to be the people I take?" she offered; her only way of connecting with people is by offering them things. 

"I would love that very much!" Jo perked up. 

"Yes, indeed!" Addy's heart leapt at the idea of going to Europe. She had never been. 

After they had finished their duties with Aunt March, Jo and Adeline rushed home. They were supposed to pick up their sister from school shortly, so they said hello to Hannah, dropped off their things, and ran to the school. 

When they arrived, Amy was nowhere to be found. One of the girls Amy went to school with told the sisters that she had gotten in trouble with Mr. Davis over some drawing and ran away after he had hit her. 

"Oh, Amy!" Addy cried, remembering where she would be. 

"Where are you going?" Jo called, chasing after her. 

"I know where she is. We must get Marmee and hurry," 

AN: ooooooooo we gonna see Laurie again