18

"Crowded town, silent bed. Pick a place to rest your head and give me a minute to hold my girl." Hold My Girl by George Ezra

Time had taken its toll on the March sisters

Time had taken its toll on the March sisters. Jo had decided to move to New York to become a published writer, chasing after her lifelong dream while being a teacher at a boarding school to help pay for family bills. Amy had travelled to Europe with Aunt March, having now been gone for over two years studying painting and learning french. Beth had recovered enough to do mild tasks around the house, but Addy still carried most of the load with Mr. March and Marmee. They continued to care for those who need it and welcomed strangers into their home with what little they could afford. Meg had given birth to twins and was living through poverty with John. Laurie had been parading through Europe himself, too scared to return to the country that contained the woman he loved and lost. 

Amy was riding in an open-air carriage with Aunt March, speaking of her courting with Fred Vaughn who she had met all those years ago. She suddenly noticed that there was a familiar face passing in the crowd, and she screamed for the carriage to stop. She hopped out, chasing after Laurie and jumping into his arms. 

"LAURIE!" She squealed as he hugged her tight. 

"Amy, you're so grown up!" Laurie laughs, letting her go as they caught up. 

"Where is your grandfather?" Amy asks brightly. 

"Still in Germany. I'm on my own travelling and having fun," Laurie smiles, hiding some truth about how he was doing. 

"And drinking, and gambling, and flirting," Amy continued, teasing. 

"Don't tell your Mother!" Laurie blushed, enjoying the presence of the March family that Amy brought him. 

"Are you chasing some girl across Europe?" Amy asked, suddenly remembering what had driven the boy away initially. Laurie's eyes dropped to the ground as he sighed. 

"No." He simply replied, looking back up at Amy with a tight-lipped smile. Amy's heart softened at the boy who was in love with her sister. 

"I... I couldn't believe that Jo turned you down. I'm so sorry," Amy mumbled, knowing that the boy had made a mistake in who he asked to marry him but not wanting to voice her opinion. 

"Don't be, Amy. I'm not," Laurie's smile softened as he thought about the times he shared with the March sisters. Amy nodded, smiling back. 

The screeches of Aunt March interrupted their solemn moment, causing both of them to giggle and run back to the carriage. Laurie hopped on and planted a kiss on her cheek, causing the old woman to scream for him to get off of her. As the carriage pulled away, Amy spun back around as Laurie jumped off. 

"Come to the New Year's Party! It's a ball and everyone will be there, including Fred - Pick me up at the hotel at eight - the Chavain! Dress for festivities! Top hats and silks!" Amy called, wanting to spend more time with Laurie and perhaps hear more about what happened between him and Addy. She always thought they would marry. 

"I'll wear my finest silk!" He called back with a smile, waving as people stared oddly at him. 

As Amy spun back around in her seat smiling, Aunt March glared at the girl. 

"It's Laurie," Amy defended before Aunt March could critique her unladylike behaviour. 

"I know," Aunt March rolled her eyes with a huff. 

Meanwhile, back in Concord, Addy makes her way to Meg and John's home which is a short walk from where the March family resides. She has some baked goods for Demi and Daisy, the terribly adorable toddlers, and a letter from Amy to share with her. As she approaches the modest house, she sees the twins playing together outside, squealing and running with their little legs. 

"ADDY!" Daisy screams, running to her aunt with so much excitement and love. Addy places her things on the ground, opening her arms wide for the twins to run into. 

"My rays of sunshine! How are you today?" She asked, snuggling them in close as the winter air blew cold. 

"Good," the twins responded at the same time as Meg walked to the door, leaning on the frame as she admired how wonderful her sister was with her children. Addy scooped her belongings up as Demi and Daisy grabbed a hold of her dress, leading her to the house. 

"You know, you should have some of your own. You would make such a wonderful Mother," Meg smiled, hugging Addy closely.

"Well, I'd need to find a husband first, and we all know how poorly that turned out last time," Addy joked about the painful experience over two years ago. She realized she had been on poor terms with Laurie for nearly 4 years now and she wondered if he had changed much in that time. Adeline had just turned 24 and she still had no prospects, though Meg tried her best to introduce her to Sallie's rich friends. 

"Nonsense, any man would be lucky to have you," Meg scruffed up Addy's hair, causing her to laugh and swat her sister away. 

"I brought some goodies for you all, and I have a letter from Amy," she smiled, noticing that Meg's mood was off. 

"What's the matter?" She asked quietly, handing each of the kids a pastry and sending them off to eat them. 

"I made a foolish mistake today," Meg sighed, tears brimming in her eyes. 

"Tell me, darling," Adeline sat Meg down at the kitchen table, rubbing her back.

"I let my jealousy of Sallie's wealth get the best of me and now I have 20 yards of the most beautiful silk that cost me $50," Meg allowed one tear to fall. 

"Oh, Meg," Addy held her close and placed a pastry in her hand. 

"I don't know why I cannot be content. I just wished I could have nice things like Sallie," she sniffled as the twins ran back into the house. 

"Mommy?" Demi asked, rushing up to Meg. He climbed into her lap and wiped the tears away from her face with his small chubby hands. Meg smiled, kissing him and placing him down, reassuring him that she was alright. 

"That, Meg. That is what you do all of this for," Addy whispered as Demi ran back to his sister. Meg nodded slowly, knowing that her sister was right. She was already the most wealthy woman in the world; she had Daisy and Demi and John and the whole March family. 

When Addy returns to her home, it is deathly quiet. She frowns, not understanding why she could not hear Beth playing piano as she so often did. She then heard thumping around upstairs and slowly made her way to the sister's bedroom, scared of what she might find. 

She froze when she found Beth laying in bed, Marmee whispering to her as she dabbed her head with a cloth and Hannah rushed around her, speaking about when the doctor would be here. 

"Beth?" Addy gasped. Marmee spun around looking at her daughter. 

"It's her heart. The illness weakened her heart and something is wrong," Marmee was holding back tears, which terrified Addy. 

"Oh, Beth," she ran to her side, taking over for Marmee in dabbing her forehead while Marmee left to get what medicines she had. 

"Addy-" Beth croaked, but Adeline hushed her. 

"I'm right here. I'm not leaving," she mumbled, a tear falling down her face and onto Beth's cheek. 

Adeline knew what was happening more than anyone else. She knew the outcome of this story and she wished for nothing more than to be able to change it. She did not want to lose her Beth, and she did not want her family to suffer that loss. 

But not all stories are in our control. 

AN: uhhhhhhhhh I wanted to let Beth live but like yall so much character development happens through her so like we gotta brave through it