14

"And you were never one for doing what you were told, oh how the good die young." Adeline by John-Robert

It has been a while since Marmee has gone to see the March patriarch, and the girls have been missing her terribly

It has been a while since Marmee has gone to see the March patriarch, and the girls have been missing her terribly. However, they do enjoy some of the freedom. The girls were all sitting in the kitchen attending to their different tasks. Meg was reading a letter from Mr. Brooke with a smile, Jo was writing, Beth was sewing slippers for Mr. Laurence, and Amy had her foot in a bucket of plaster. Addy was tidying the kitchen with Hannah, being one of the only ones to do her chores and keep the house in one piece. 

"I'm making a mold of my foot for Laurie so he remembers how lovely they are while he is away at college," Amy giggles, causing Addy's heart to drop slightly. Laurie left for college in September, which brought Addy plenty of grief. Jo was doing fine without him, though she noticed that her sister was in a dull mood since his departure. 

Jo could not decide how she felt about the whole situation. On one hand, there were times when she thought that if she was forced to marry, she would choose Laurie as he is her best friend. However, she also did not want to marry in the first place. She thought Addy and Laurie would make a lovely couple, though the thought of losing Meg and Addy so close together was horrible to her, so she did not want Laurie to sweep her sister off of her feet. 

"Mr. Brooke writes that Father is still very weak, but improving. He also says that Mother is the best nurse a man could ask for..." Meg is smiling down at the paper as Jo rolls her eyes. 

"I wish all the letters were from Mother and not from Mr. Brooke," Jo pouted, stopping her writing and beginning to tidy as well. 

"I'm grateful for any letters," Meg mumbled as she gently placed the letter in a safe space, grabbing a paper and quill to make a list of errands to complete. 

"I think this deep purple will suit Mr. Laurence quite nicely, don't you think?" Beth asked, holding up the mostly finished pair of slippers. Amy nodded and Meg smiled.

"They are wonderful, Bethy. Mr. Laurence will love them," Addy assured, running her hand down the girl's hair in a comforting manner. 

"I had to thank him somehow for allowing me to play that beautiful piano so often," Beth mumbled as the girls prepared to leave the house. 

"I'll go into town to get groceries. Jo, could you look into getting more firewood?" Meg asked as Jo placed her layers on, nodding. Beth looked up at the girls, sadness in her eyes. 

"You all have not been to visit the Hummels yet. We should all go," Beth offered as the girls continued on with their tasks. 

"Bethy, we barely have enough to feed ourselves. Besides, I have to finish this story," Jo mumbled, grabbing the papers and putting them away neatly. 

"Marmee said that we-"

"Marmee said so many things, we can't possibly do them all," Amy huffed, using a wooden spoon to pry the plaster away from her foot.