17

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers until you set your old heart free." Hello My Old Heart by The Oh Hellos

"What excessive promises, giving yourself away to get the other

"What excessive promises, giving yourself away to get the other. What a thing, what a gift, always given before it is known the cost or the reward," Mr. March spoke fondly in front of Meg and John, watching his oldest daughter commit her life to the man she loved. 

Jo kept staring at Laurie, hearing her conversation with Addy as she imagined how it would feel to say her vows to her best friend. 

After the ceremony, the dancing, eating and drinking began. Adeline watched her sister in adoration as she never left John's side. She could not have been happier for Meg. While Beth and Laurie danced together, Addy caught his eye as he spun the younger March sister around. 

He stared longingly for a moment before snapping out of it, bowing to Beth as the song ended. Amy and Aunt March make their way to her carriage after she has said her rude goodbyes to everyone. Of course, she barely acknowledged Adeline. 

Addy was dancing around with Meg, giggling as she used her new name. Mr. March took a hold of Meg, spinning her around as Marmee handed out more cakes and food. Adeline quickly noticed that Jo and Laurie were no longer in attendance and she had the urge to find them, but she knew better. In fact, she may have even known exactly where they went, but her heart did not let her mind think about it. 

It wasn't long before Amy came running back, screeching about how she was going to Europe with Aunt March. Marmee knew this would break Jo's heart, so she looked around for her daughter before watching her run from the forest into the house. Marmee looked over to Addy who also noticed the younger March sister. Marmee nodded at her, knowing that Addy would need to be the one to handle this. 

Adeline walked slowly to the house, taking a breath before walking inside, hearing the loud breathing of Jo. She turned the corner into the kitchen and saw her sister sprawled across the floor, breathing heavily with tears streaming down her face. 

"Jo?" Adeline whispered. Jo snapped her head to the entrance of the kitchen, sitting up straight. When she sees who it is, more tears fall and she turns around. 

"Go away, Adeline," she croaks, holding her knees tight to her chest. Adeline sighs, walking towards the girl and placing a hand on her shoulder. 

"I don't want to see you!" She yelled, turning to Addy in anger. Adeline took a step back, sitting on a nearby chair instead. She sat in silence, hoping that Jo would tell her what was wrong soon. 

"Jo-" 

"No, Addy. It isn't fair. The only thing a woman is good for in this world is marriage and I never wanted it, but then you planted this idea in my head that I could be happy that way! And now I'm confused and so is he and I think I have ruined our friendship and I can do nothing about it," Jo barely breathed between words, more tears making their way down her face.