22

"Should this be the last thing I see? I want you to know it's enough for me, 'cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need." - Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran 

It simply did not feel right to Addy

It simply did not feel right to Addy. The day was shining with sun and warmth, and yet the March family was going through the coldest winter they could ever experience. Everyone was dressed in black and staring solemnly at the coffin before them, knowing the brightest ray of sunshine was laid to rest inside. 

Marmee and Robert March stand together, clutching onto their other half as they process the reality that no parent should ever have to live through. Jo stands close to them, arms crossed as she stares blankly, brushing into her Father's side as the only support she could handle at the moment. John and Meg are not far behind as John tenderly holds his wife as she lets out some soft sobs. Hannah stands near them, eyes trained on the ground. 

Finally, Adeline and Laurie stand side-by-side, their hands intertwined strongly. Neither of them had spoken a word about their relationship, and while that is the sole reason Laurie returned, he knew Addy needed time to heal. The girl's breathing was mildly laboured as tears flowed, watching as they placed the coffin in the ground and began to fill the hole with dirt. 

"Come on," Laurie urged quietly, watching as the rest of the family began to leave silently. Jo stayed behind to ponder some more on her own, and while the rest of the March family made their way to the house, Addy and Laurie began to make their way to the nearby forest. 

They passed the tree with the mailbox on it that Laurie had set up all those years ago, and the sight made the young woman smile through the sadness. 

They continued to walk in silence until Adeline stopped, causing Laurie to halt as well. 

"It's my fault," she started. Laurie stared at her with wide eyes. 

"What? Addy, that's ridiculous-" 

"It is, Teddy. I could have kept her safe. I knew the Hummels had the sickness when I saw them and I still let her into the house. I should have saved her," Adeline's voice broke in the last few syllables as she crumpled to the forest floor. Laurie was quick to drop to her side. 

"Adeline, there was nothing you could have done. You are not your sister's protector," Laurie tried to reason. His heart ached as he watched the woman he loved in pain. Since he had left, she had matured even more and her eyes glowed with beauty, though he tried to shake those thoughts at this particular moment. 

"I was so selfish," Adeline cried. Laurie could not understand what the woman was feeling right now, and he never would; only Addy could understand the unique situation she was put in. 

"Del, I don't understand-"

"Why did you come back?" Addy interrupted, staring up at the man she knew she loved. If only her feelings could be open for all to know.