20

"I'll close my mouth, I won't say a word. A nod of pity for the plain girl." 6/10 by Dodie

Meg made her way to the March house the morning after she had a fight with John about the money she had spent

Meg made her way to the March house the morning after she had a fight with John about the money she had spent. It wasn't much of a fight as it was more of Meg breaking John's heart. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and she held a basket of food for Beth as she walked in the door. 

Marmee greeted Meg with a smile before it dropped, noticing the fragile state that her daughter was in. 

"Meg?" Marmee asked, and the oldest March ran into her Mother's arms with tears streaming down her face. 

-----------------------

"Hello, Amy!" Laurie spoke cheerily as he entered the art studio, causing Amy to jump and turn around to see who had intruded. When she saw the boy, her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she resumed painting. 

"I don't want to see you," she spoke with very little emotion as Laurie strutted his way in anyways. 

"Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry for how I behaved. Please, forgive me?" He asked sweetly, trying to look her in the eyes. She refused to glance at him, infuriated by his actions. 

"Have you been drinking again?"

"Only a little, and it's 4 pm! You can't be too hard on me," Laurie tried to joke to lighten the situation, but Amy did not take the bait. 

"Someone has to do it," Laurie knew by her tone and lack of eye contact that he had truly ruined his relationship with Amy. 

"So, when do you begin your great work of art, Raphaella?" Laurie decided that joking to change the subject would be the best course of action as he strode around the studio, touching different things. 

"Never," Amy spoke with great conviction as Laurie faced the girl who finally looked at him with worry in his eyes. 

"Why?"

"I'm a failure. Jo is in New York, being a writer, and I am a failure," Amy huffed, grabbing different tools to wash and put away. 

"That's quite a statement to make at 20," Laurie offered, trying to ease the situation the only way he knew how. 

"It's like you said, I have not completed any work of note and I have decided I'll never be a genius and I should just give up my foolish dreams," Amy spoke with sadness but determination. Even in her giving up Amy was ambitious. 

"Amy... you know that I did not mean what I said, right?" Laurie was concerned that he was the one who ruined the girl's dreams. 

"It doesn't matter, you were right," Amy huffed, taking her smock off and grabbing finished paintings, putting them in a chest. 

"Well, in that case, may I ask that your last portrait be of me?" Laurie sat on a chair in a dramatic pose, causing Amy to smile. This brought hope to the Laurence boy that their relationship was not completely ruined.